• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

RMA HDD

if it's brand new, return it to the store where you bought it and get a new one as replacement.

Like the other poster, I wouldn't trust refurbs for anything I didn't care to lose or have backed up (or maybe use it as the backup drive.) I've had 3 or 4 drives RMAd, and they send you a used drive back.
 
Question is do you trust a refurb hard drive? I've seen too many refurbs of all brands fail or be doa over the years when I was a retail tech. Most of the time if a drive fails I buy a new one.

Yes, I do. Most people who send hard drives back are probably doing so because of user error - they think the drives are failing and they're not. And the manufacturer certifies the drives it sends you to work; what makes you more wary of those than of new drives?
 
Yes, I do. Most people who send hard drives back are probably doing so because of user error - they think the drives are failing and they're not. And the manufacturer certifies the drives it sends you to work; what makes you more wary of those than of new drives?

When I was a notebook tech I got refurb drives all the time from both the vendors(seagate, maxtor, wd, etc) and refurb drives from like compaq, hp, gateway, etc. Also got refurb drives from like preowned electronics.

I've seen a good 200 drives plus come in "refurb" that have issues with them. They pass the smart test but fail a full disk scan or are just doa.
 
I've never had an issue with a refurbished drive sent back to me by western digital.
I have RMA'd (in somewhat of a chronological order):

WD102AA
WD800JB
WD1200BB
WD2000JB
WD360GD
WD5000YS

I've had a pretty good amount of hard drives over the years. WD's advance RMA sure is nice, though.
 
Back
Top