ripping blue-ray to mp4

perrosky

Limp Gawd
I have about 60 BD movies I want to rip to .mp4 to save them in my WHS I would like to know the best setting to save them keeping 5.1 audio and a nice video quality with and final output file of 10gb at the most, right now I'm gonna use anydvd for the security of the bd's (if needed) but thinking about just take the movie out with makemkv and then Handbrake to get the size of files to 10gb.

Can you guys help me with the video settings to acomplish this, handbrake offer
Target Size, avg bitrate (kbps) etc.

Average bitrate depends on the length and target size, so we can't tell you what it is without knowing the length (which is something you know, so that answers that).

why mp4 for 5.1 audio? mkv has ac3 pass through so i would recommend that unless you have a specific reason to use mp4. Also, 10GB should give you some good rips. If you dont want 10GB all the time, check the length of the movie and longer movies will need the full 10gb and maybe you can cut down 1.5 hour movies to 8gb.

Any particular reason why you're targeting 10GB rather than targeting a constant quality level? Space limitations?

actually it does, ac3 audio through mp4 is far from perfect and handbrake chokes on it and gives you no audio if you try to do it. at least last time i tried. Thats why mp4 has aac and mkv has ac3. If you start with ac3, why would you want to re-encode anyway.

EDIT: this is of course if you start with AC3. i usually do but I do hd tv rips

Any particular reason why you're targeting 10GB rather than targeting a constant quality level? Space limitations?

because I think when u want constat quality level the output of the file is the same as the source ?:confused:

actually it does, ac3 audio through mp4 is far from perfect and handbrake chokes on it and gives you no audio if you try to do it. at least last time i tried. Thats why mp4 has aac and mkv has ac3. If you start with ac3, why would you want to re-encode anyway.

EDIT: this is of course if you start with AC3. i usually do but I do hd tv rips

There is reason I want to reencode it's because when I use handbrake I almost the full size of the BD, that's why I want to reencode it to .mp4 or mkv it's fine as long I can cut the size of the movie to 10gb the most.

because I think when u want constat quality level the output of the file is the same as the source ?:confused:

Constant quality chooses how many bits to use based on the desired quality of the output. Filesize is unpredictable, but image quality should be fairly constant. So you choose a quality factor that you're happy with and then encode everything at that factor and the output will be the minimum size possible to maintain that level of quality. I'd consider it the optimal mode for home users where you don't need to archive to fixed-size media. It doesn't require an analysis pass and will automatically adjust for easy or difficult to encode films.

BD typically has DTS-HD or DDL audio, which is quite poorly supported by most playback software. I'd suggest that you transcode to AC3, and optionally include the original audio track in case support improves in the future.

Also +1 to .mkv.

There is reason I want to reencode it's because when I use handbrake I almost the full size of the BD, that's why I want to reencode it to .mp4 or mkv it's fine as long I can cut the size of the movie to 10gb the most.
In this case, use two-pass encoding with a fast first pass ("turbo") and calculate the bit rate you need to use given the bit rate of the audio and the length of the film.

As for the actual settings, you could try 4-5 reference frames, mixed references enabled, uneven multihexagon motion estimation, subpixel motion estimation set to 7 or 8, motion estimation range at 24, 5-6 B frames, direct prediction set to automatic, weighted and pyramidal B frames, 8x8 DCT, CABAC enabled and disabling fast-P-skip. Set subpixel motion estimation to 9 for a slight quality improvement at the expense of encoding speed. Increase the motion estimation range to 32 or 48 for a slight quality improvement at the expense of encoding speed. Set adaptive B frames to optimal for slight quality increase/slower encode.

Still...I'd just use constant quality and get some rips that are less than 10GB and others that are greater than 10GB (finding the quality level that achieves this via experimentation). I don't understand the point of having an arbitrary file size cap when the number of bits required to maintain a constant level of quality is so highly variable.

Back