Rig Build; I need your opinion!

Hey guys,

So I'm looking to do a couple of upgrades with my current system and wanted to see if what I plan to do is really worth it right now or if I should wait for something better? I would be building the following system with these parts;

Intel Core 2 Q9300
Intel DP45SG Mother Board
WIndows Vista Ultimate 64bit
8GB OCZ Fatality PC2-6400 DDR2 (4x 2GB)
2x BFG 9800GTX+ OC GPUs
2x Seagate 750GB Hard Drives
SoundBlaster Extreme Gamer Audio Card

Antec Quattro 850 PSU
Antec Nine Hundred Two Case
Zalman CNPS10X Extreme CPU Cooler

So that's it, I'm still learning a lot of things going along like overclocking, raid and things that can make or break my rig. :) I am an avid gamer playing games like Crysis, Bioshock and Prototype but more so a freelance graphic designer working with Photoshop and Illustrator on the daily.

As of now, I own all parts listed in my current system and will be only purchasing the Q9300 and the DP45SG mobo for $150 brand new.

Now I ask you this, is this a crazy deal that I should just pick up, build and stop asking questions or should I pick up an i7 and work around that? Any suggestions or comments would be a great help.

that intel board runs the P45 chipset and will not be able to run SLI however the a q9300 and DP45SG is a pretty good deal for 150 so with the little cash spent you could up grade id a single 9800gtx+ isnt enough for gaming

I would run something other then that Intel board if you plan on overclocking.

aii crap. i'd like to run the sli so i will have to decide on another mother board. argh!

Why not go with two 4870 1GB cards instead of the 9800GTX+ cards? It will only be marginally expensive, and it will allow you to go with a superior Intel chipset-based board rather than being locked into using a mediocre nVidia chipset. Plus, two 4870s in Crossfire will be considerably faster than a 9800GTX+ SLI setup. You can get XFX cards for only $145 apiece here, or if you don't mind going with a brand that doesn't have as good tech support you can get HIS cards for just $120 after rebate here. The cheapest 9800GTX+ on Newegg is $115 after rebate, so it really isn't much of a stretch.

Also, I agree with the above poster who suggested that you not get an Intel board if you want to overclock. Some good options for inexpensive overclocking boards are the ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo and the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P.

argh! ok cool, thanks for the tips guys.

i already own the two 9800gtx+'s and figure it may be a bit hard to get rid of them both..

if i were to stick with these two cards, switch it up and go for an i7 920 and an intel dx54so mobo and not over clock would that be ok? I mean, i should get decent performance still, i don't really plan on over clocking. what do you guys think?

argh! ok cool, thanks for the tips guys.

i already own the two 9800gtx+'s and figure it may be a bit hard to get rid of them both..

if i were to stick with these two cards, switch it up and go for an i7 920 and an intel dx54so mobo and not over clock would that be ok? I mean, i should get decent performance still, i don't really plan on over clocking. what do you guys think?
Going i7 would be a good choice, although I personally wouldn't pick the Intel board.

the intel board isn't good because it isn't good with handling overclocking?
reason why i keep sticking to the intel board is because i'd be purchasing this with intel's retail edge big deal- good price, can't beat it!

are you buying the intel board(s) because you work for intel and are getting a good deal? because if not, you should consider another board if you are going to overclock.

edit just read your last post about retail edge.

the intel board isn't good because it isn't good with handling overclocking?
reason why i keep sticking to the intel board is because i'd be purchasing this with intel's retail edge big deal- good price, can't beat it!
You can also purchase the bare CPU through Retail Edge; I would do that and then purchase a better motherboard. If you're really on a tight budget though, there's nothing wrong with the Intel board. It just lacks a lot of the features that other X58 boards have.

Roll with Intel if that is the case. I ran Intel DG965WH and DP35DP boards up until I got an UD3P so I can overclock some. Good boards for stock speeds and stable. Just picky about RAM.

eh, budget isn't too much of an issue- so i'll do that, pick up the i7 920 and get another mobo. i figure i'm saving 160$ usd+shipping/duties so i should be able to spend about 250-300 on the mother board.

again, thank you for the tips!
i'm gunna stick with the...
i7 920
9800gtx+'s

and get me a good mobo.

if you look at the specifications of that board a little closer, you will find that it is actually an asus!!!

jk.

Back