Retro video game ad thread.

CastletonSnob

Weaksauce
I thought a thread where we post old video game ads would be fun.

IMG.jpg

I had that game, it did have nice graphics for the gameboy but I played the gameboy version of castlevania a lot more because it was more fun with similar gameplay from what I recall.

The TV commericals were better like for Pitfall and Zelda or Nintendo power glove. When Double Dare gave away Sega systems and Nintendos as prizes.

Some 90s ads that probably would not fly today :ROFLMAO:

mf.jpg
tr3_3.jpg

How times have chagned. I was around 10 when I first saw the tomb raider ad above in my local blockbuster. And the Maximum Force ad I came across on the PSX reddit some time ago. Hilarious.

Today retro games are games liek Max Payne, Diablo, Heroes of Might and Magic III and IV and many others

PC culture has changed things a lot in the last 20 years.

We've always been a PC culture. What's PC just changes from time to time. Remember all the complaints about rap, heavy metal, D&D, and other bullshit? We just change what we care about.

That Quake 3 Arena ad with the computer & toilet was pretty much my goal in life as a young adult. I existed to play that game.

last week i looked through a box of old gaming magazines from 95-98 that i have. Gamepro, EGM, tips n tricks mostly, and few other randoms ones. alot of these ads and others bring back some good memories!

I think I was more impressed with Skateboard ads which were on the verge of Punk scene back in the 80s. Skateboarding was more fun than videogames anyway.

Screenshot_20220502-115908_Bing.jpg

I am not the best person to uncover old controversial adds because frankly I am still a 90's kid at heart and I don't really find anything here offensive. That said, here are few adds I found going through some old Nintendo Power mags that I used to have as a kid. I don't think any of it is controversial but it is more just stuff that you probably wouldn't see as much of today at least in the form of official advertisements put out by companies.

https://archive.org/details/NintendoPower1988-2004/Nintendo Power Issue 113 (October 1998)/page/n39/mode/2up?view=theater

https://archive.org/details/NintendoPower1988-2004/Nintendo Power Issue 123 (August 1999)/page/n33/mode/2up?view=theater

CruisinWorld.png

Rush2ExtremeRacingUSA.png

BattleTanxGlobalAssault.png

Oh, and I am going through a bit of a Sega Saturn phase at the moment and so I thought I would include this as well. It's a bit before my time since I started gaming with the N64 but it really shows how well Sega of America knew how to nail pop culture in the 90's:

Last edited:
Back