Resetting my username and password on my router.

I got a new computer and I can't remember what my user name and password is for my router, so I guess I need to reset it so it will let me get online? I have a Netgear MR814 and I am using a wired connection. Thanks!

Grab a pen or paperclip and push (perhaps hold) the reset button on the router till it reboots (usually lights start flashing for awhile, and it ends.)

DreamTheater36 said:
I got a new computer and I can't remember what my user name and password is for my router, so I guess I need to reset it so it will let me get online. I have a Netgear MR814 and I am using a wired connection. Thanks!
Was there a question or are you just letting us know?

Figure out what the address of your router is, like 192.168.x.x (I don't know what netgear uses), and go through the options. Maybe under administration or something.

DreamTheater36 said:
I know that....but how do I get to the page to actually reset the password?
Did you miss my post? You can't soft reset a password on most routers unless you know a backdoor pass or something, seeing as the first page is a User/Pass prompt. The way to do it (as mentioned in ALL product literature) is to use the hardreset button.

Lacking a hard reset button, open the router, remove the button cell that's probably keeping settings alive, and pop it back in to clear the settings...assuming it's not an EEPROM.

DreamTheater36 said:
I know that....but how do I get to the page to actually reset the password?

If you don't know the web admin password...you cannot log into the web admin get to the page to change it. That's sort of the point of an admin password.

Sounds like you'll need to do the old factory reset button with a paperclip thing. If you're on cable or bridged DSL, no problem. If you're on DSL...you'd better find your PPPoE username and password..as you'll need this to reset the WAN inteface to get your DSL up and running too. If you don't know hit...before wiping your router..go to your ISPs website and write down their support number, and get a phone bill handy.

Back