replacing the dsl router that came with your ISP

I currently have a westell 6100 dsl router that came with my bellsouth fast access package. I want to ditch the westell 6100 and get something that works better, and something that makes it easy to host a game. For some reason its very difficult to set the westell to forward the ports i need, and when i do...my external ip still isn't accessible to my friends.

this is what i like:

d-link

i think this would work...but not sure if i have to keep the westell and bridge the connection. Most of the tutorials or examples on port foward.com are out of date and isn't very helpful

I used to write a knowledge base for BellSouth DSL Support. I hate the Westell 6100 with the burning passion of a thousand suns. When I had DSL through them I had the SpeedTouch Home modem and I still have it to this day.

As far as I know it should still work. If you want mine, it's all yours. I'll never use BellSouth again so I'll never need the modem for anything other than collecting dust. Just find out from them if you can use the modem and then I'll ship it out to you via the carrier of your choice. You'll have to pay for shipping of course.

Back when I was writing the knowledgebase, we did have a list of modems that BellSouth would allow to customers to use, but the modems were unsupported. Meaning that, if you have an issue, the first thing they would ask you to do is hook up their modem.

So if you want the modem, let me know through PM and we'll work out how to get it to you. Like I said though, make sure they will allow you to use the STH prior to me shipping it to you. No sense in you wasting money.

That D-link thing you linked to isn't a DSL modem; it's just a router. It won't even have the standard phone jack for connecting DSL. You run an ethernet cable from your existing modem to the router which connects to the computers.

If you want a new DSL modem, that's a separate issue and I would take Fulmination up on his offer. If you want an all-in-one box, what you would look for is a "DSL gateway with 4-port router."

Only time I've used a 3rd party dsl modem was with verizon. Client had their modem take a surge and verizon told them it would be a few days to ship one out. Picked up a zoom dsl modem/router from staples and managed to get it to work. Verizon support couldn't tell me half the information I needed to get the thing working though. Had to figure it out myself.

get a router and then log on to the modems config page and set it to pass threw mode to send the public IP to the new router that should fix any issues you have

Back