• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Replacement Subwoofer

sdlvx

Gawd
Joined
Dec 9, 2007
Messages
567
I'm a college student, and I went to ship back my speakers, and UPS royally messed up my subwoofer. It was only insured for 50 dollars, and the box wasn't dented or anything, so claiming it is out of the picture.

I have an Asus Xonar D2X with some old logitech Z-5300s. The problem is, is that I'm on a much tighter budget now, and I was looking to replace the sub. I noticed the amp and stuff can be unscrewed from the back of the logitech sub, so I was going to modify my set up to use the amp and woofers from the z5300 set up, and then mount it to another powered sub and get rid of this muddy sounding crappy sub logitech gave me.

The only problem is, is that I have at MOST 150 dollars to spend on a sub. I'd love to grab a nice onkyo HTIB or something, but I don't have the money.

I don't need anything amazing, because the logitech sub was 100watts RMS, and I'm pretty sure they lie about that more than other manufacturers.

Was looking at either:

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-SKW204-...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1242775366&sr=8-1
(probably overpowering)

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YST-SW...ts=1&colid=&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

http://www.amazon.com/AUDIO-PSW250-...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1242775366&sr=8-14

or

http://www.amazon.com/MTX-120W-Powe...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1242776313&sr=8-37

I want it to be something on amazon, because I have a 25 dollar gift card there. If it's something I could pick up at radioshack or bestbuy I could work with that too.

Thanks guys/girls for the help, I appreciate it.

EDIT:

Just broke down and spent a little extra on a Polk Audio PSW110. It's not awesome, but it's WAY better than the logitech I had before.
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I find it hard to recommend subwoofers under $300 or so... The performance just doesn't justify the cost. Might as well stick with your main speakers. Except you're using Logicrap, so I guess quality doesn't matter. If quality doesn't matter, just get any sub...
 
...The only problem is, is that I have at MOST 150 dollars to spend on a sub...
I feel you, I was on the exact same budget as you were a few days ago, and came down to 2 possibilities:
Acoustic Audio HD-SUB10 10" = $158.88 /w free shipping.
Or
The Speaker Company ASW-10 10" = $149.97 /w free shipping.

Those two looked pretty good, and received good reviews online. Do a Google search yourself. I personally got the HD-SUB10.
One thing I want to ask, is how long you plan to wait until you get it. Because if you wait a couple of days until mine arrives (friday), you can see my review on it. I currently have the logitech z-5500 setup, so that will give you a reference since you have a logitech too, even tho' it's not exactly the same model. However, feel free to check online for more reviews. If you can't find them yourself, let me know, and I'll try and find the links about both of those I mentioned above.

I find it hard to recommend subwoofers under $300 or so... The performance just doesn't justify the cost. Might as well stick with your main speakers. Except you're using Logicrap, so I guess quality doesn't matter. If quality doesn't matter, just get any sub...
Come on, the man doesn't have the money, understand it and just give him the best advice based on that. Besides, logitech is not THAT bad. I have the Z-5500 and I can totally tell the difference using it with and without a sub. The sub just brings everything together. I mean, is not the best in the world, but it's absolutely better than running them without the sub.

I just purchase an Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver a week ago, and plugged my logitech speakers on it, knowing I was not gonna be able to connect the sub. Guess what, I put that receiver back in the box within minutes because the sound felt so empty. I'll wait until my new subwoofer arrives, and then try again. Until then, my Z-5500 with it's humble sub will do me well.
 
I've heard a Acustic Audio sub, a 12" version, friend of mine has one, he did a few mods to it as well, he's got carpet spikes on it, insulation on the inside walls as well as extra cotton inside there. It really helped the low end on it, sounds good, it gets plenty loud to shake the entire house.
 
Well, my HD-SUB10 arrived today. Once I get a chance, I'll give a mini review about it. But if I had to describe it right now with one word, it would be "WOW". hehe.
It completely blows the Z-5500 out the water. While watching the Terminator Salvation (trailer 3), I noticed right away that the numbers at the beginning of the trailer marking the release date actually have a BOOM! sound to them after each number. I never heard that with the Z-5500. It struck me right away, because I was like: "since when those numbers make sound?". lol. Also, the sound is way punchier. No need to crank up the volume to hear the house shake, because with this one you can actually softly feel it without the house coming apart. Of course, you can crank it up and shake the house, but that's not the idea with casual listening.

Ok my friend, that's it for now. I'll have a better review, and pictures coming up later. I'll try to get on that tomorrow after I get out of work.
 
Back
Top