Replace win2k DC

maw

Supreme [H]ardness
can anyone outline the process or point me to a good resource on how to replace a Win2k Active Directory Domain Controller?

Basically the current DC is pretty long in the tooth and we want to upgrade to a faster server (it also does file sharing/DNS/DHCP/WINS).

i was thinking i need to add the new server to the domain, then somehow promote it? sorry it's been a looong time since i've had to do something like this, and my experience was back then was with NT4.

thanks for any help

Probably be a good idea to get a book and read up on it. But there's no promoting really. Get your new server and set it up in the domain and let AD replicate and your basically good to go.

Originally posted by Zlash
Probably be a good idea to get a book and read up on it. But there's no promoting really. Get your new server and set it up in the domain and let AD replicate and your basically good to go.

what about the master roles? it sounds like he taking the old one offline.

This was my reply to a post last week- maybe this will help:

I have used the following 2x, installing new DC's at sites, tto replace old ones. This has worked great for me both times. The 2nd time, I built the server here in my shop, and shipped it to Boston and finished the install w/pcAnywhere- never set foot in the place! Anyway, credit where credit's due to the poster at TekTips (great Tech site btw)

Original post

Upgrading a DC to new hardware
faq96-3016

FAQ : Upgrading a DC to new hardware
This document details how to upgrade one of your domain controllers to new hardware.

1] Backup

2] Test your current DNS setup
http://www.microsoft.com/windows200...hecklist_ds.htm

3] Install new server run DCPROMO make sure you install a AD DNS server

4] Wait for replication. (20-30 minutes)

5] Check the DNS on the new server.
- Have the details replication?
- Are the forwarders setup correctly?
(See : http://www.tek-tips.com/faqs.cfm?spid=96&sfid=3017)
- Is the event log clear of errors?

6] Transfer the FMSO roles over

Changing owner of FSMO roles:

There are five FSMO roles: Domain naming Master, Schema Master, RID Master, PDC Emulator and Infrastructure Master. There must be a domain controller that owns each one of those roles.

To change the owner of RID, PDC and Infrastructure Masters, open Active Directory Users and Computers on domain controller you want to move the roles to, right-click domain name, choose Operations Masters and click Change in appropriate windows.

To change the owner of Domain naming Master, open Active Directory Domains and Trusts on domain controller you want to move the role to, right-click Active Directory Domains and Trusts, choose Operations Masters and click Change.

To change the owner of Schema Master, open Active Directory Schema on domain controller you want to move the role to, right-click Active Directory Schema, choose Operations Master and click Change.

For more information see http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...b;en-us;Q255690

7] Transfer the Global Catalogue role

Changing owner of Global Catalog:

Open Active Directory Sites and Services console, go to Sites\Site Name\Servers\, expand the server you want to demote, right-click NTDS Settings and choose Properties, in the window that appears un-check Global Catalog and click OK. After doing so go to same place in server you want to hold the Global Catalog and check Global Catalog at NTDS Settings\Properties. After making these changes wait about fifteen minutes till the Global Catalog replicate between domain controllers, after it you can continue with further configurations.

8] Transfer files/permissions over.

9] Run a DCDIAG on the new server - fix any issues

10] Run DCPROMO on the OLD and demote to a standalone server.

11] Remove OLD server from the network or remove from the domain.

12] Make sure all references to the old server name are updated (ie. mapped network drives).

13] Test with a client that you can logon, check the event log for any errors, run a DCDIAG.

Thanks twwabw!!

that's exactly what i was looking for. I've found bits and pieces of what to do, but your reply finally put it all together in one cohesive set of steps..

Thanks much!! :)

Yea i forgot about the master roles, that's why i mentioned the book ;) .

twwabw, you sure have come a long ways since your day's of twisting wrenches
:D

Back