Replace vdev with another - bigger drives

CYNDAN

n00b
Joined
Feb 4, 2011
Messages
2
I have omniOS-Napp-it in a ESXI VM

1 pool -> vdev 1 ( 2 WD 500 gig RE3) + vdev 2 (2 WD RE4 1 TB)

Want to add new vdev using 2 WE red 2 TB disks and remove the older/smaller RE3 drives

My plan is add the new drives. Create new vdev. Add new vdev to the pool. Here is my question. I do not think the vdev of the old 500 gig drives can be removed. How does one remove old drives from a pool - fail them one at a time??

Is only upgrade path to copy data, destroy pool and rebuild? If that is case I will leave the old drives in place until they die
 
You can replace the old drives one at a time with the larger drives. Replace 1 500gb with a 2TB, allow it to resilver, then replace the 2nd 500gb drive, and after it resilvers the vdev size will increase to the new 2TB drives. I believe you have to enable online capacity expansion on the pool, though.

The catch with this is if your ashift is different because of the different types of drives (the new drives will maintain the 500gb drives' ashift). However, I think the ashift is a pool-wide property, not vdev, so it may not matter without destroying the entire pool.
 
Back
Top