• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Replace mirrored set with smaller drives

hardware_failure

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Mar 21, 2008
Messages
1,783
I re installed the OS of a server on a hardware mirrored set (LSI 9260 8i) after 2x segates failed at the same time. I used 2x 3TB WD reds because thats all that I had on hand.

Now I want to replace these drives with 2 new 1TB drives I have.

I want to clone the data from the old drives to the new ones, without risk of the set being initialized. The OS is win2k12. The OS partition takes up ~2 TB of the virtual drive, (~1TB unused) with the typical 350MB system reserved partition that windows creates.

What are the best steps to do this?

Thanks.
 
Getting creative with Clonezilla might get you what you want. Then again, it might not if you're using the Windows based drive extending...
 
Ive broken the mirror before and been able to read disks on other controllers... Im pretty sure I could resize the volume inside windows, and then clone one of the drives to the new 1TB.

What Im most unsure of is how to "replace" a drive into the virtual mirror setup in the LSI controller, and then restore the mirror with the other 1TB drive, and boot as normal with the controller not knowing the difference.

EDIT: Heres what I really want to do: create a new mirrored RAID setup on the LSI controller using one full drive with data (my hopefully OS partition resized and then cloned 1 TB drive) and then add the blank drive and have it re mirror. ie I want to create the new RAID without wipeing the first drive.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top