• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Replace Jack? Or new Headphones?

waz

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 19, 2004
Messages
131
I’ve got a pair of Sony MDR-605 that I have had for years now and have been used and abused. I bent the plug about 1 year ago and tried bending it back with pliers, but it came out with a weird kink in it. And when you plug it in you really have to fiddle with it to get sound in both channels or sometimes you get nothing but static. Once it is set it works but if you even so much as breathe on it the sound goes to crap again.

So after a year of this I’m fed up and want to know how easy is it to replace the plug on these phones? to go the cheap route, or should I spring for a new pair of Sennheiser HD-555’s? And how much better would those Sennheiser sound over these head phones? If I get new headphones I would like something less than $100 and only use them for gaming, with a tiny bit of music.

The headphones:
cans.jpg


The plug in question:
jack.jpg
 
For some reason, those cups remind me of the Sony SA5000... anyway, that's besides the point.

I don't think those headphones are particularly well-known or popular, but doing a search of those on head-fi might reveal some info and comparisons. I know I have a pair of Labtec Elite-840s which are sort of run-of-the-mill phones, but I managed to dig up a review a few years ago about it.

If you can't find any info on them, then the only way to test the difference in sound quality would be for you to find a local audio store and audition it.
 
If you're handy with a soldering iron, you can get a replacement jack for a couple bucks. You just have to figure out which wire goes with what signal.
 
strid3r said:
If you're handy with a soldering iron, you can get a replacement jack for a couple bucks. You just have to figure out which wire goes with what signal.
Right. If you buy a stereo mini male jack, you could just take scissors and cut off the current jack. Take a wire cutter and expose a little wire. Splice the cord a little and just solder the connections. As strider says, make sure you know which wire is which or you're going to reverse your Left and Right. If you have the tools, that would cost you roughly 8$ at most and you can proceed to beat them up. ^_^

The senn 555 are not the most durable of headphones, so they may not stand up as good as the sonys you have to abuse.

~Hope this helps
 
So after a year of this I’m fed up and want to know how easy is it to replace the jack on these phones?

It's not a jack it's a plug and if you had to ask that question you are prolly better off buying some new phones. ;)
 
Well I went to the local electronics shop and grabbed a new plug for $2.14 and put it on this morning. It turned out really nice, but now I've discovered a loose connection inside the headphones somewhere, that if you shake them the signal drops sometimes. At least they work now, if I can get another couple of months out of them I’m happy.

Thanks Towert7 telling me about the 555 durability, after you said that I looked into it some more and found some posts supporting this. I was considering those as my next headphones but not anymore.
 
Back
Top