• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Reparing some JBL speakers

Silent Fart

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 3, 2003
Messages
189
Hey everyone, Silent here. I just acquired some JBL 4408a studio monitors for free. Well when I got them they cabinets on both have have been unbelievably beaten up. The right speaker has had a 1/4 inch taken off the top right corner about in inch down an inch to the left and the left has similar but not as deep. Now my question is, since I don't hear any degradation in sound quality is it ok to run these in their current state? Will I get the same awesome audio quality if I put the current speakers in new cabs? Can I get the current ones fixed up?
-Silent
 
Unless the cabinet is actually broken as that there is airflow between the inside and outside there shouldn't really be any problem. The appearance is mainly cosmetic, most good cabinets are nothing more than dense particle board. Putting the drivers in a new cabinet would work, but only if you accurately replicated the cabinet features including the dampening and port and such.

Ultimately I defer to Duke Ellington on these matters: "If it sounds good, it IS good." In other words, if you like the sound then there's not really a problem, is there? :D
 
Back
Top