Repairing a corrupted boot sector

kennyj449

[H]ard|Gawd
Just what the subject says... I have an 80G partition that is inaccessible, and the only repair utility that's been able to diagnose it so far was the DOS version of Norton Disk Doctor from Systemworks 2001. Everything else either fails, crashes, or tells me there's a bad sector. Some DOS utilities see it as being only a 1G partition, as well. The partition table looks good, but the boot sector's table is FUBAR'd.

Any suggestions for a utility or technique that can repair it?

Not so long ago, Partition Magic 8 fried one of my partitions (primary partition /NTFS ) instead of merging it with another. I think PM 8 was just about finished erasing the file tables and indexes, when it suddenly crashed and died, leaving me with a "Would you like to format..." message in windows. Naturally I didn't have any backup or checksum/integrity solution of any kind :) After searching google for a few hours I found iRecover, which successfully recovered MOST of the data (around 80 gig). It's not free, but you can try the evaluation version, see if it works...

edit:
I just noticed Ice Czar has already linked to that very same site....

Diskpatch is for repair, iRecover is a sector by sector direct scanner, not the same thing, but its advisable (if you have the space) to recover first then repair

I actually perfer File Scavenger as a Recovery ap

Back