Removing U2412 Bezel and custom mounting...

Digital Viper-X-

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Dec 9, 2000
Messages
16,315
Some notes before attempting this:
- You will void your warranty, and possibly damage your monitors, be careful and patient, if you can't do those 2 things, don't do this mod.
- Have a clean flat surface to place the panel on when you're working on it, always check before placing it face down that there is nothing there that can damage the screen.
- Work in a well ventilated area when applying the glue, keep it @ room temperature and not too cold.

This picture is the difference with the main plastic bezel and support on / off. it's about 1/3-2/5th smaller without the plastic on.


The metal bezel under neath can be removed, BUT you expose the backlight, however if you're crafty and want to fabricate your own thinner casing you can save a few more mm and get it down really thin. The screen is totally exposed if you remove that part as well.

I should be able to post completed pics tonight, however one of the monitors is about 1-2mm off on the mount, and I used some heavy duty adhesive, so there is a chance I'll have to redo that one and it could take some time :p

Lets start with this:
Remove the 4 screws that are in the vesa mounting holes on the back of the monitor.


The frame / bezel is composed of 3 parts, front, middle,and back (more pics later showing all 3 layers)

Taking the back off is the hardest / most destructive way, I had to destroy 2 frames to figure this one out :p, so learn from my mistake.

Start separating the front and middle bezel, insert a flat head between the 2, and turn it gently until you see and feel the clip unlatch.

Do this all around the monitor till the front and middle are completely separated, this should allow you to remove the front from the middle/back completely, At this point the control panel that has the power and other controls on it is screwed into the front bezel with 3 very small phillips head screws, remove them and push it out.
The back should now simply lift off the panel and electronics, except the USB connector. This is a standard connector, squeeze the middle clip and it should release from the port.
(this picture is with the back removed instead of the front, I destroyed 3/4 of the clips this way.

The U2412 is mainly supported by the plastic frame, which also holds the electronics via the VESA mount, the electronics are also taped onto the back of the panel and are housed in a metal casing.
Here are some pictures of the electronics attached:

Also note, be very careful when removing the data cables, the monitor will not turn on without the ambient light sensor cable in place, and the second cable is for the controls which are also needed, you can remove it by very gently lifting the plastic clip ( black part) and pulling the cable out.

When doing this, use a marker / tape / something to mark the 4 corners or 4 sides of where the electronics are, so you can match it when you re-mount it later, and all 3 monitors match, to make it a bit more accurate, use a ruler / measuring tape, and draw a small grid, so that it's in exactly the same location on every monitor, and the height when mounted on the arm is the same. you can see i just marked it before removing the tape and taking it off.

Here is a picture of the casing and electronics flipped over with glue applied(Used the strongest adhesive that works on metal from home depot, it was $5 for the tube +$3 for the cocking gun... i said cocking :p)


Now some pics of the casing mounted on the panel.


Finally, place something with decent weight on top for 24 hours, not so much that will bend the panel.






I will upload a better picture tomorrow, I forgot my camera cable @ work =p so cell phone pics it is for now!

Done, however you can slightly see the far right monitor is a bit higher than the others, I'm going to expand the mounting holes in the arm bracket to allow it to drop 1-2mm
Also, the panels are too light for this stand, so it wont stay down if I lower it, I need to find something heavy and hang it off of the arm :) any ideas? currently, I'm using 5 heavy duty zip ties :p working well so far.


I will probably try to make a border out of the remaining bezels for the top bottom and side of the monitor =p gotta find yee old dremel, or paint the metal casings black.



more later.....
 
Last edited:
added some more pics, will fix the 1-2mm difference by expanding the mounting holes on the bracket that come with the arm.
 
Thanks for the post, it was a very useful read! Modding my 3 Acers because I want to try eyefinity in portrait but the bottom bezels are triangular. Got em off okay, but the electronics casing with the power and input connectors are only held to the back of the LCD by the bezels. Thanks to your pics/ideas I'm going to lowes first thing tomorrow...
 
Back
Top