Removing metal paste..

auntjemima

[H]ard DCOTM x2
I have a heatsink and cpu here that I used some sort of metal paste on years ago. I can't remember what type it was, but either way, does anyone know how to remove it?

IMG_20200406_201647.jpg

This was after trying to remove it.. just by wiping it down

I've just used copious amounts of IPA in the past. You'll definitely get that dark grey "oxidised" remnant that you can already see on your block, but it doesn't seem to affect temperatures when being used again.

The only way to truly get it clean is to sand it down with a mild abrasive. Toothpaste would probably be enough (y)

IPA.
Acetone if you're feeling hardcore. That stuff dissolves everything.
I typically use a dollar store toothbrush and IPA( rubbing alcohol).

Thanks guys. I ended up scrapping it off with a knife. The dark square definitely stayed though.

Thanks. This will be good info for the future.

Thanks guys. I ended up scrapping it off with a knife. The dark square definitely stayed though.

Thanks. This will be good info for the future.
Mechanical means always work also. Some 400 grit WOD sand paper and it would look brand new.

Mechanical means always work also. Some 400 grit WOD sand paper and it would look brand new.

Not much open around here to be picking up such low grit. I think the best I have is 80, so that won't work lol

Man i knew i am an alcoholic, but i was about to ask what brand of beer you guys was using to clean your heatsinks? And if it really worked better than rubbing alcohol.

I have a heatsink and cpu here that I used some sort of metal paste on years ago. I can't remember what type it was, but either way, does anyone know how to remove it?

View attachment 236065

This was after trying to remove it.. just by wiping it down

2000 grit sandpaper + isopropyl alcohol will get that off nice and fast
Just make sure you hold the base to the side. You don't want LM getting on the aluminum.

Not much open around here to be picking up such low grit. I think the best I have is 80, so that won't work lol
Well we are talking about the underside of a heatsink, just has to be clean. Unless your chasing that last .5 degree, with a mirror finish. Don't have to be pretty.

Back