Remote Reboot

mwolfod

n00b
I posted this in the General Hardware Forum, but am reposting here in the hopes that this Section is where a number of knowledgeable IT pros are present:

I have a remote PC which occasionally "locks up" requiring a cold restart.

I am aware of the numerous products which allow for a remote power cycle, but this particular situation requires a physical press of the front PC power switch in order to properly reboot the PC.

I'm not sure how to approach this problem (different case/power button, BIOS settings, remote power-cycle hardware), and would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

Change the power failure setting to power on and then use a switched PDU or remote outlet to kill it and then turn it back on. Hell you could use a logitech wemo probably lol

Change the power failure setting to power on and then use a switched PDU or remote outlet to kill it and then turn it back on. Hell you could use a logitech wemo probably lol

Thanks.

Yes, this appears to be my problem. The BIOS was set to OFF under the "Loss of AC Power".

I can't duplicate my "lock-up" issue exactly, but I did power off the PC and then plugged it back in, and it did start without physical depression of the power switch. Thus, this appears to be at least a step in the right direction.

Now, any suggestions as to what remote power device to use?

Thanks much!

my home computer can boot up on its own after loss of power but I would use a watchdog. They are pretty cool. Otherwise a network PDU you can turn power on and off with would work too.

For my home stuff I use Z-wave power switches so I can login to my security panel and turn lights/devices on and off if needed

Whoa. Those are neat devices.

Wonder why I never heard of them.

Apparently some MOBOS have them built-in????
Having it integrated is usually reserved for industrial motherboards, though some server ones have it as well.

my home computer can boot up on its own after loss of power but I would use a watchdog. They are pretty cool. Otherwise a network PDU you can turn power on and off with would work too.

For my home stuff I use Z-wave power switches so I can login to my security panel and turn lights/devices on and off if needed

I hadn't thought about z-wave!! I have that technology (via HomeSeer) at both my home and office.

So I could use a z-wave outlet adapter and power/repower as needed? Along with the BIOS modifications above that should work for a crashed/locked up PC?

I'm not sure what you mean by "security panel"; like as in say, DCS security panels??

I hadn't thought about z-wave!! I have that technology (via HomeSeer) at both my home and office.

So I could use a z-wave outlet adapter and power/repower as needed? Along with the BIOS modifications above that should work for a crashed/locked up PC?

I'm not sure what you mean by "security panel"; like as in say, DCS security panels??

My security system has a z-wave controller built in so I can control all my devices through my smart phone :)

But yes you can put a z-wave outlet adapter there and use that to control it if needed

http://2gig.com/products/gocontrol-control-panel

Thats the panel I'm using right now. Upgrading to their new one when it comes out

Last edited:
Nice technology.

I have a security system as well, but I don't have my PCs connected to it, just doors, windows, motion detection, smoke alarms, etc.

Does your system use UPB (powerline) so that conceivably EVERY device plugged into an AC outlet is part of your security system?

Thanks.

Whoops. I just realized, the computer I'm having issues with is my HomeSeer (Z-wave) host. I guess I'll have to look at other solutions.

Nice technology.

I have a security system as well, but I don't have my PCs connected to it, just doors, windows, motion detection, smoke alarms, etc.

Does your system use UPB (powerline) so that conceivably EVERY device plugged into an AC outlet is part of your security system?

Thanks.

Everything connects up to z-wave and can be wired to the panel as a backup. Don't need powerline, its all on battery currently.

Back