Remote Network or VPN for students??

bobbylx

Weaksauce
Hello all,

so I'm looking for a little network advice. I'm an instructor for a company that sell Medical Imaging equipment. We are pushing to have virtual classes or distance learning for our customers.
Our customers need to be able to remotely log in to a machine that has been assigned to them and complete labs. I think we have decided on UltraVNC for this. The workstations use a 3 monitor setup, and UltraVNC seems to work really well for this.

Our problem is we need to propose a solution to our IT department for a method to allow non employees access to our network to connect to the VNC workstations. Does this make sense?

We currently have a VPN for our own employees, we have probably 4000 employees that work remotely. I just don't know how much work it would require to create Student VPN accounts, especially for a 1 week class?
Are there any other methods that would work? We have a number of subnets in this company, a business subnet that accesses our Intranet and Internet, and a handful of subnets that have test or lab equipment on them. All the subnets are able to communicate with each other. So typically, if I VPN in from my house I will get on the Intranet network, then I can remotely access my lab equipment. This is what we need, only for non-employees.

Is there a device or software that can provide similar functionality that is maybe Web based, like a web server or web access server? Anyway, that's a bit out of my area.

I just need some options to present to IT so they don't try to take over the whole project.

Any Suggestions?

thanks

What kind of VPN hardware do you have now?

Will this class be repeated or is this a one time deal?

I would guess that we are using Cicso for VPN hardware, actually we have to be since the VPN client on my laptop says Cisco. As for the specific hardware, I'm not sure, they don't let me play with that stuff.
As for the class, yes it will be repeated probably at least once every 6 weeks. And if participation increases then we'll add more. We will also be looking to create more classes like this so it could be used many times.

Well if you have VPN hardware, Have your ITDept setup a new VPN group on the hardware (Call it customerVPN or something) and for trusted networks only give them access to the IP address of the desktops (make them static)

Then use a cisco SSL web VPN for clientless login.

Very nice, I'll propose that. It sounds just like what we need. And no worries on the static IP's, that's how we have to setup our Medical Workstations anyway.

Thank you so much.

At my company we also have hardware VPN solutions (Juniper) that allows the employees to remote in. We have crypto cards that are needed for the employees. Howerver, our contractors can be setup in a way that our vpn hardware and firewall will route them only to the resources that should have access to.

In this case new firewall rules would be written, a webpage would be created specific to those taking the class and then they can login. However we have to create Active directory logins for the contractors. Something similar may occur, but if login credentials can be created by a different solution then you'll that much closer to getting the training server to be used by the students.

Or just setup the training server in the network DMZ for students to access.

Back