remote desktop is really slow on proliant servers behind a switch...

Andrew_e1

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello,

My brother retired 2 HP proliant dual xeon servers from his office and gave them to me... I went ahead and stuck them in the garage since they are noisy as hell, I gave them a clean install of server 2003 and they are working pretty good except for a performance issue.

Right now the connection is like this, I ran a single cat5 cable from the router in my room all the way to the garage where it goes to a switch and then to both servers. If im using the switch, when I try to connect through remote desktop it connects for 30 secs before timing out, I see the login screen but its really slow and can't do anything. If I connect the cable from my router directly to either server, it works fine...

What might be the problem? is the switch malfunctioning or something? I don't know anything about networks and i'm just gonna be using both servers for rendering, I already installed backburner on both and they work great.

Thanks

What is the make/model switch?
To cut down on the noise, did you install some of the software from HPs site..system management agents and various drivers..so that the fans settle down during bootup? What model Proliants?

I think they are kind of old, it says DL140 on the front... I found this driver page:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...esId=374617&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1005

However there were so much drivers I just went and installed the standard ethernet adapter and they started working. I tried installing other stuff but I didn't know what they did and some did not install.

Fan management app would be good since like I said they are very noisy, though when I turn them on fans go to full speed then settle after 10 secs, don't know if thats what you mean...

Also the switch is some SMC networks switch I had laying around...

Thanks for your reply

Flow control is a great place to start. I have seen issues like this with servers that do not negotiate speed/duplex properly. Set everything manually on the servers (full duplex, 1000 or 100Mb which ever your servers & switch support), confirm that the switch is linking up at the same rate/duplex.

Fan management app would be good since like I said they are very noisy, though when I turn them on fans go to full speed then settle after 10 secs, don't know if thats what you mean...

I think that's in the BIOS, but I leave it on. It is usually only about 3-4 times a year I have to reboot our HP servers for updates.

There are HP agents to install into your OS which settle the fans down..usually about 1/2 way during bootup..as the OS is loading drivers. On some models...if you just install the naked OS without the agents, those fans will scream full bore 24x7....so I thought you meant that when you said they're so noisy you had to put them in the garage. If the fans settle down during bootup..you have the agents installed.

Similar to when you have *nix installed on the servers..like some of the ones I have running Untangle for a firewall, have to go install HPs "Lenny Deliverables" software to get those fans to quiet down.

can you try to borrow a different switch ?

and

That rug really tied the room together.

Thanks for your replies guys... I replaced the switch with a linksys and it works fine now.

Can anyone with knowledge tell me what are the essential drivers to install from here?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...74617&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1005#12212

There are just TOO many and i'm not sure I would need them for the simple tasks im gonna be performing on the server... I'm mainly interested in fan management right now...

Cheers

Back