Remote audio player (w/ linux)

iceslice

Limp Gawd
I've been building linux boxes for quite a while, and know the power them on the slower systems. Currently i have an older 500mhz machine running Gentoo doing my fileserver/httpd/tunneling duties. I'm moving into my new apartment and will be moving this box to our stereo for music.

Is there an application that allows me to connect to that box and play music through it remotely? Obviously i could set up a Shoutcast server and stream that way, but then i'd have to worry about reconnecting the localhost client to the localhost server and deal with the 30 second delay it produces. This all seems a little bit too complex for a completly local network setup. I'd also like to avoid using the GUI (i have fluxbox set up on it) becuase its such a huge resource hog on this poor machine. If it was just me using it, i'd be satisfied with using a shoutcast server, however my not so computer literalte roommates would want to also take advantage of the setup and simplicity is key.

Any linux based non-GUI setups that solve this problem? The advantages of using this type of system is that we can all play our choice MP3s from our computers without having to actualy upload them to the machine itself. I could just use samba to network the drives, but i would have to setup a monitor (or buy a nice looking lcd), keyboard and mouse (or buy wireless) on our entertainment center and thats just ugly and expensive. Being able to hide the entire box and just wire it up to the reciever would be a lot cleaner. At the moment i don't have the cash to wire the box

As far as a text based MP3 player, mplayer should work fine. If you have the Samba share mounted, you could just issue mplayer * in that directory and it'd play anything in that directory, and you can skip songs back and forward using the keyboard. I think if you telneted into the box, the songs would run on that box. Now, making it easy for your computer illiterate friends is gonna be difficult. Maybe give them a login and have it automatically mount thier Samba shares and start mplayer through the built-in Windows telnet client?

im putting together a system for my parents so they can play mp3's to the in-wall speakers in our family froom, via a computer/amp which are downstairs in the basement w/ all of our home theater stuff...

i have spent hours and hours googling to try to find an open-source project to let you play mp3s and setup playlists via a web-based interface...and yesterday i found this:

http://www.kevinboone.com/mp3server.html

i was really lucky to come across it yesterday though..i wan't even really looking very hard :D
this is network-controlled mp3 player written in java....which could be used by your idiot-non-technically-savvy friends and family ;)

good luck!

Thats for all of the responses. mplayer would have worked except that i didn't want any sort of console connection to the machine (no keyboard/mouse), and SSH for them is way over their heads. Thanks for the links.

How did this come out? I am looking to do a similar thing.. hopfully using an old P166 i had still laying around. Only going to be 1 user, me, and the MP3's will be stored on my network file server. Hoping to hide the PC behind the TV so remote admin is a must.

Im far from a linux expert, i have only setup a webserver once so far... So..any suggestions tips would be great.

Back