RedHat Linux Question

kirk

Gawd
I got RedHat 9 from my school, I am taking a Linux class and RedHat came with the books.
My problem is that I want to get any updates for it but I dont have any type of key or serial to register with at the RedHat websight, so am I out of luck. If I ever want to be able to update RedHat am I going to have to paymore just to keep it up to date? :mad:

Thanks

It sounds like the free version, which AFAIK has been phased out. That's why it doesn't have any sort of registration information stuff in it. If you want updates, the latest software, and don't want to pay, I'd just get Fedora Core or some other free distro. Gentoo, Debian, etc.
Fedora Core is the replacement for free RedHat. They just rearranged how the free version is produced and renamed it. It's still quite similar to RedHat. Basically it's a "community effort" with support from RedHat rather than a distro produced by RedHat. It's strongly affiliated w/ RedHat though- they've even got links to in on redhat.com.
That's probably the closest "current" distro to what your class is using, though there are a few differences. The biggest one is that RH9 uses kernel 2.4 and Fedora Core is on 2.6 now.
Since you'll be using this for a class that presumably assumes you're using RedHat 9, I'd either just go with RH9 until you're done w/ the class or install Fedora Core.

Back