• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Recovery partitions on 3 disk SSD array

Joined
Aug 21, 2009
Messages
588
I was planning on setting up a partition that spans 3 disks of say 60GB and then 3 other volumes of 60GB on Disk 1 & 2, Disk 2 & 3 and disk 1 & 3. I was planning on having these other partitions as backups in case the main one goes bad. Should one disk go bad, one of the other backups would work. The only thing I'm worried about is getting the backup partitions to boot properly. Is there anything that would need to be done to make the backup partitions bootable? I didn't see a boot option on my RAID setup config panel.

Are there any drawbacks to this idea other than space wastage?
 
Remember that an errant power supply or controller could take out your "backups" in a flash. Before I took 3 drives and did that, I would put 4 drives into a RAID10 (which would save you from ANY single drive failure) AND have an external backup.
 
Back
Top