Recommendations for NAS Synology?

UnrealCpu

2[H]4U
I do not have time to research everything or keep up with the latest NAS trends . Last time i heard the Ds414+ play was the best out there for Plex and i seem to think synology has the best UI for a NAS.

Any recommendations
thanks

I have a DS1010+ and I just purchased a DS1513+ for a client. Rock solid NASes. Don't use Plex so no input on that.

I use a VM and map my Synology NAS via NFS. The atom CPU in my 712+ just doesn't have enough oomph to do it itself.

I have a 412+ don't use plex, but everything else has been pretty good the past 2 years or so... there was some panic about the synolocker thing for a little while

Use my DS1813+ with Plex running directly and NFS for VMWare ESXi. Very easy to setup and work with.

My suggestion is to have a very very do the transcoding and have it pull the files from the Synology.

There are a few options -

If you run PMS directly on the Synology the transcoding will be limited by the Atom processor.

What I think Peanuthead is trying to articulate is - use your Synology as network storage and install PMS on a beefier box, and let that do the transcoding while serving up the media via network.

The D2700 is faster than the CE SoC if I am not mistaken at 2.16 Ghz, with 2x 512k L2. You really buy the 15xx and 18xx series for the expansion options without having to mess with expanders.

the 415 play is also substantially cheaper.

What's your top 3 use cases for the setup? You might be better off with a 415 play and a NUC if you don't need as many bays or don't mind buying expanders as you need them.

The D2700 is faster than the CE SoC if I am not mistaken at 2.16 Ghz, with 2x 512k L2. You really buy the 15xx and 18xx series for the expansion options without having to mess with expanders.

the 415 play is also substantially cheaper.

What's your top 3 use cases for the setup? You might be better off with a 415 play and a NUC if you don't need as many bays or don't mind buying expanders as you need them.

I have four 3tb drives , although i would like to go raid 5 i am primary just using it for my own cloud, plex drive. I am doing away with drop box , any cloud service from google or apple, box, drop box etc.
I am currently close to 4 tb on my plex drive so i will most likely have 9 tb for plex future expansion and 3 for cloud backup files . Do not plan on using it as a OS backup server.

I read a ton about running Plex on a Synology nas and eventually gave up trying to figure out which one would run Plex problem free. Bought a simple ds214 and run Plex on a windows server vm. Works great.

I read a ton about running Plex on a Synology nas and eventually gave up trying to figure out which one would run Plex problem free. Bought a simple ds214 and run Plex on a windows server vm. Works great.

The DS+ is made to transcode 1080p not the Ds214

i am looking for a working solution out of the box which synology offers the best transcoding performance .

I'd have to say the DS415+ would be the fastest of the available choices that wouldn't break the bank. Avoton C series Atom Quad-Core - limited to 2GB of memory though it seems.

Cool i just checked the website synology looks like the DS415+ doesnt do DLNA ?
also no encryption for the play version?

looks like from my research Synology units no matter what i get do not support DTS sound
guess i will have to wait

Cool i just checked the website synology looks like the DS415+ doesnt do DLNA ?
also no encryption for the play version?

I'm pretty sure they both do both. It's just that the devices are targeted to different users, so they tailor their advertising specifically to the targeted user. The DS415+ is targeted to business users, who are unlikely to use DLNA even if it is there. The DS415Play is targeted to home media server users, who are less likely to use encryption even if it is there.

I'm pretty sure they both do both. It's just that the devices are targeted to different users, so they tailor their advertising specifically to the targeted user. The DS415+ is targeted to business users, who are unlikely to use DLNA even if it is there. The DS415Play is targeted to home media server users, who are less likely to use encryption even if it is there.

Think i am going to go the Linus route . Ready Nas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYBok-XGsKM

That you will regret. ReadyNAS aren't a patch on a synology, even with the new updates.

There are a few options -

If you run PMS directly on the Synology the transcoding will be limited by the Atom processor.

What I think Peanuthead is trying to articulate is - use your Synology as network storage and install PMS on a beefier box, and let that do the transcoding while serving up the media via network.

Yes. That is correct. Readynas software is not that great nor do I feel they have a the same horsepower over a qnap/Synology. You pay for more than just hardware on a NAS. You are also paying for the support and usability of the software/gui.

i think id like to hear someone who has experience with ready NAS software and tell me how they are

You probably won't find that here. ReadyNAS is considered a full step below QNAP/Synology and people here tend to skew towards the higher end stuff.

You probably won't find that here. ReadyNAS is considered a full step below QNAP/Synology and people here tend to skew towards the higher end stuff.

ok i see

just curious anyone have their synology hooked up to a DMZ through the router?

Doubtful. It's much better to put your NAS behind your firewall and forward the hand full of ports it uses.

that is the whole reasoning about putting a NAS on the DMZ and not letting hackers get access to the entire network . The NAS will be either encrypted or password protected. Those handful of ports will be open if you put it behind the router

Yes. That is correct. Readynas software is not that great nor do I feel they have a the same horsepower over a qnap/Synology. You pay for more than just hardware on a NAS. You are also paying for the support and usability of the software/gui.

once better technology comes out the server can be parted out or used for a window machine

I have said my piece. I think you have enough information to make a decision. I almost feel you have your mind made up, but keep asking up to change it. Or you just want to argue for the sake of arguing. In regard to Synology, they have it to where you can access it from the cloud regardless of where it sits.

I have said my piece. I think you have enough information to make a decision. I almost feel you have your mind made up, but keep asking up to change it. Or you just want to argue for the sake of arguing. In regard to Synology, they have it to where you can access it from the cloud regardless of where it sits.

Look lets get something straight. I took your advice thanks! No arguing here just stating facts

Now wait and see if someone else replies with more information who is a free NAS user.

moving on now

Look lets get something straight. I took your advice thanks! No arguing here just stating facts
Now wait and see if someone else replies with more information who is a free NAS user.
moving on now

I use FreeNAS and Synology in both personal, lab and production environments. I apologize if I missed your question about FreeNas in your posting. What specific question do you have about FreeNAS? Is it "how does FreeNAS handle decoding PMS?" ?

Last edited:
Back