Recommendation for a P965 mb with 1394

ockky

n00b
The title says it all.

I need a p965 board for overclocking my e4300, and it needs to have firewire so that I can get all of my peripherals hooked up.

So far all I've really found is the Asus p5b.

I plan to look for more, but was hoping you guys might have some input for me when I get home from the office.

Thanks in advance.

Check out the abit AB9 QuadGT. From what I've read on forums, it's a pretty killer board, and better for overclocking than the stock P5B-Deluxe. I just ordered one and I'll be sure to post my thoughts on it soon enough!

Check out the abit AB9 QuadGT. From what I've read on forums, it's a pretty killer board, and better for overclocking than the stock P5B-Deluxe. I just ordered one and I'll be sure to post my thoughts on it soon enough!

I saw they had that for $179 on ewiz and I was really considering buying it. The only problem is I read alot of bad reviews on the board saying the bios is very buggy. I dont know if I wanna deal with flashing the bios a bunch rather than just buying the p5b deluxe. Definitely let me know how everything goes once you get it, by then I will have probably bought a p5b deluxe but im still eager to find out more about this board.

I was in the exact same boat as you. I could've gotten the DS3 and just bought a pci firewire card but I found the Asus P5B-E. $150 at newegg about a month ago. It oc's my e4300 great too.

The P5B-E is good choice for a mid level board, that offers firewire and overclocking ability.

I went for the Abit QuadGT myself. Regarding the reviews let be clear what they said. Awesome overclocker, stable and good board layout. The bad; BIOS issues when trying to use Intel ICH8R Raid and JMicron Raid at the same time. Additionally, problems with IDE optical drives only running in PIO mode and not DMA mode on the JMicron controller. As well SATA optical drives not being detected when on Intel ICH8R ports and RAID has been enabled.

So in my mind, if you don't plan on using Intel ICH8R RAID or JMicron RAID then there is no problem with the BIOS. If RAID is a concern, the current beta BIOS has resolved the issues for certain combinations, read more on the Abit forums. Additionally, some users have reported success installing the newest JMicron driver from the website to resolve their PIO mode issue. I need to try that myself tonight, since I am currently in PIO mode after my initial setup last night.

I need a p965 board for overclocking my e4300, and it needs to have firewire so that I can get all of my peripherals hooked up.
from what I'm reading most 4300s seem to be topping out around 400fsb.
That being the case the cheaper AB9 Pro & MSI 965 Platinum should also be in the frame.

P.S. I've got a QuadGT & it's a cracking board.
Yes, the BIOS has a few minor issues that need work but most of them centre around the JMicron & are common to other 965 mobos as well.

Back