Recomended book and hardware to pass CCNA (4 year network admin)

• Thread starter Deleted member 19858
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 19858

I have been a network admin now for about 4 years as a career. I have gone through college and done computers/networking for years prior. I finally want go get my CCNA so I have a few questions for those who have passed and have similar experiance. I have worked on Cisco hardware just am not an expert by any means but I can find my way around.

1. I just want to take a single test so I want to take the 640-801 but the 640-802 is coming out, should I take that instead or does it matter?

2. As far as a book goes, I am thinking about this one, should this be enough? http://www.amazon.com/CCNA-Official-Certification-Library-640-801/dp/1587201690/ref=pd_bbs_2/104-5631131-6452758?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1188779445&sr=8-2

3. As far as building a lab goes, what routers/switches would you suggest, to say I am on a budget is an understatement.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Take the 801. I wouldnt bother with the 802 until people have had a chance to review the study material for it.

Coming from a Cisco guy, don't get the Cisco Press Official Study Guide. Get the Sybex. The CP book has a few too many errors in it.

I'd just get a sim for the CCNA. If you really want hardware, my recommendation would be finding a couple of cheap 2600/2500/1700 routers, and a couple of cheap 2950 or 2900/1900 series that run IOS.

Ya I figured the 802 would be too new, I have used some Sybex in the past but everyone says Cisco Press is good. Seems kinda ironic that a book written by a CCIE has errors in it.

Yeah, tell me about it. The guy who wrote this one has written a few other books and I like them, but this one does have a few errors in it. To be fair, I'm not sure if the one I went through was the 2nd edition like you linked, but given that it was last summer when I went through it to renew my CCNA, I think it probably was. Unfortunately, I've read so many books since then that I cant remember the exact errors. The rest of the Cisco Press lineup is pretty good, especially into the CCNP and CCIE R/S series.

If you're on a tight budget, I'd suggest you use Dynamips, which emulates Cisco hardware that uses IOS images. The only problem you might have would be obtaining a IOS image from Cisco. However, I've heard through the grape vine that they are available on some torrent sites.

Here's a Dynamips tutorial if you're interested.
http://classroom.internetworkexpert.com/p27794135/

I've taken courses from Cisco on the CCNA, but never followed through in taking the exam, and I've never installed Dynamips so I can't help you any further...

check out certtalk.com
Also get the CCNA Network Simulator. Its high priced but well worth it if you do not want to buy the hardware.
As far as books, can look into the Exam Prep Books

Id like some actual hardware, for me I typically lean better than with simulators but maybe ill try some out

Id like some actual hardware, for me I typically lean better than with simulators but maybe ill try some out

Dynamips isn't a simulator, it's an emulator that boots real Cisco IOS images. If you're on a tight budget, it's the way to go since it's free. But if you have the money, then check out ebay and see if you can find a good price on a Cisco router and switch.

That would require having the IOS images which I don't have and don't want to steal them. I have heard of that software before though, thanks for the suggestion.

I would look on ebay i just picked up some nice equipment for around $300.

2x2621 with 2 Fast ethernet and a WIC 2T
2x3524 switch

Back