Recent Untangle upgrade experience

iroc409

[H]ard|Gawd
A while back someone was asking about migrating an Untangle install to a new motherboard/CPU, and some were not sure if it would work but that it "should". I just thought I would share my experience.

I had an install running a Celeron 420 on an Intel G945 motherboard, 2GB RAM, a pair of 3Com 3c-905 NICs and a laptop hard drive. I shut the machine down, and installed a Gigabyte G31 motherboard and a new Celeron E3300 CPU. I put the 3Com cards back in the same order they were in the previous board, and it fired right up and worked, and I didn't even have to adjust the NICs. The only issue I had was that the Gigabyte board previously had a Celeron E1200 CPU, and it didn't read the E3300 until I reset the bios--but that was no Untangle issue. The system has been up and running ever since with no hiccups, about 3 weeks so far.

Groovy, I like simplicity.

If all else fails, just do a full backup, install on a new system then restore the backup. Naturally not as fast though. :p

Done it a couple of times on product units at clients..as well as our office. As long as the hardware is supported by Untangle (Debian) it will boot up....automatically install the new NICs, you log into the local web admin....go to the networking section, configure the NICS..you'll see them labeled for you, and remove the old NICs (if your new system has new NICs)..and bam..it's up and running.

Not long ago changed our offices UT box from a Proliant DL 320 G3 to a DL 360 G4 with dual Xeons.

Back