• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Really impressed by XP-90C

DougLite

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
4,764
Having reassembled my gaming rig around a new (to me) DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra-D, I got the chance to experiment with the mobo's CPU fan control. I am using a 3700+ San Diego, 1.5V, 250x11. I have a ThermalRight XP-90C, 92mm Panaflo, and AS5 on this unit.

I set it to off at <30C and full speed >60C. The fan doesn't get enough juice to spin-up until around 42C, where it starts working at about 1000RPM. The great thing is that the chip idles right at 40C...without the fan :eek: I didn't do anything special with the heatsink. just a dab of AS5 - no lapping or anything fancy. If I let the fan run at 1000RPM all the time, idle temps are in the low 30s and even full load temps are right at 40C...and that's with the substantial OC and increase in voltage.

The XP-90C has been a fantastic product all-around, and I am quite pleased. My gaming rig makes less noise than my laptop :cool:
 
Ambient temps are around 20-22C (we're cheapskates with the thermostat)

The fan is a 92mm Panaflo, FBA09A12H, rated at .29A 12V DC.

My WD2500KS hums along at a balmy 27C, my X800XL idles at 38C, full load 49C with a Zalman VF-700 AlCu, and my Seasonic S12-500 has an 800RPM fan in it. Not only is this is the coolest running rig I've ever had, it's also the quietest. I'm glad that the investment in better cooling gear has paid off.
 
The fan never even moved most of the time when I had my 3200+ @ 2.5ghz. The mobo auto fan control was nice. Always spins full speed on my opteron now though....thats the reason I just got a Scythe Ninja and new 120mm fan for it. :rolleyes:
 
I love my XP-90c, kept my Opteron 146 at 3ghz/1.55v under 48c during load. I never break 40c with my 3200. Idle'ing at 25-28c right now :)
 
a little OT but my WD2500KS is showing at 42C in Speedfan. How long till it blows up?
 
Generally, you are not risking imminent failure or long-term reduced reliability with a HDD until you get over 50C. Once a drive hits 60C, it probably will either stop working or die. I try to keep my drives at 40 or less. 30 or less is possible, as I've shown here, but it typically requires a fan and may not meet your noise tastes. If you can put something like an 80mm fan @ 7V, space your drives better, or improve airflow in the area of your HDDs, I'd do it, but it's not super critical.
 
DougLite said:
Generally, you are not risking imminent failure or long-term reduced reliability with a HDD until you get over 50C. Once a drive hits 60C, it probably will either stop working or die. I try to keep my drives at 40 or less. 30 or less is possible, as I've shown here, but it typically requires a fan and may not meet your noise tastes. If you can put something like an 80mm fan @ 7V, space your drives better, or improve airflow in the area of your HDDs, I'd do it, but it's not super critical.
Well I have a Centurion 5 case and there is an 80mm fan in front of both my drives. I have the shitty Chaintech mobo and I don't trust the temps. My other hard drive is at 28C and it's literally in the slot above the KS.
 
That makes no sense. There is always the possibility that the sensor is wrong :p In my experience, HDD sensors are usually pretty accurate, much better than CPU temp sensors and mobo voltage readouts.

You may want to feel the drive's top plate during normal operation. It should be warm to the touch, but not burning, if it's in the 42C neighborhood. If it's cool to the touch, it's a good bet that it's below 37C at least externally.
 
Thermalright is awesome period. This is my 3rd thermalright heatsink and I have 0 regrets. I currently have an XP120 and it keeps my CPU a X2 4200 (in sig) very cold. @ 2.65ghz it's stable and idles at 34c and loads no higher than 44c. I have on it a 120 MM Silverstone Fan @ >39db kicking out over 110cfm on this baby.
 
DougLite said:
That makes no sense. There is always the possibility that the sensor is wrong :p In my experience, HDD sensors are usually pretty accurate, much better than CPU temp sensors and mobo voltage readouts.

You may want to feel the drive's top plate during normal operation. It should be warm to the touch, but not burning, if it's in the 42C neighborhood. If it's cool to the touch, it's a good bet that it's below 37C at least externally.
Trust me, I've put my hand on it. The drive is practically idle and feels cold to the touch. The temp can't be correct, it's just ther to make me paranoid I think :(
 
Yes Thermalright rocks, I have an XP-90 with a 92mm panflo on it...awesome. Went from 80 degrees celcius with stock hsf idle to >40 degrees celcius with the XP-90 and never goes above 45 when on load. How much would the temp go down if I got an XP-90c? XP-120 with a 110cfm fan?
 
Stu55 said:
Went from 80 degrees celcius with stock hsf idle to >40 degrees celcius with the XP-90 and never goes above 45 when on load.
I'm pretty sure you installed the stock thermal solution incorrectly the first time around. The stock thermal solution should be able to hold you at less than 50C with a reasonable room temperature, of course.
 
Back
Top