read this before buying a new pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

t3chyo888

Limp Gawd
Want to know a secret?

None of the current ATI or NVIDIA graphics cards will support the full capabilities of Windows Vista.

But let’s start from the beginning. This story starts with an upcoming LCD Monitor Review. As you know, a good monitor should last several years and outlive every other component in your PC, other than perhaps a keyboard or a mouse. So, when it came time to do another review of LCD monitors, my attention turned towards “Windows Vista-ready” monitors: those with HDCP. After all, it makes no sense to recommend a monitor that will go obsolete in just a few months.

At the time I started this article, there were only 10 PC monitors with DVI/HDCP support. I was disappointed, but what was surprising is that many of these monitor manufacturers weren’t advertising their HDCP support. For monitors, HDCP support is the most important feature for having a “future proof” solution.

What is HDCP?

HDCP stands for High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection and is an Intel-initiated program that was developed with Silicon Image. This content protection system is mandatory for high-definition playback of HD-DVD or Blu-Ray discs. If you want to watch movies at 1980x1080, your system will need to support HDCP. If you don’t have HDCP support, you’ll only get a quarter of the resolution. A 75% loss in pixel density is a pretty big deal – Wouldn’t you be angry if your car was advertised as doing 16 mpg, and you only got 4 mpg? Or if you bought a 2 GHz CPU and found out that it only ran at 500 MHz?

As part of the Windows-Vista Ready Monitor article, I was going to publish a list of all of the graphics cards that currently support HDCP. I mean, I remember GPUs dating as far back as the Radeon 8500 that had boasted of HDCP support.

Turns out, we were all deceived.

Although ATI has had “HDCP support” in their GPUs since the Radeon 8500, and NVIDIA has had “HDCP support” in their GPUs since the GeForce FX5700, it turns out that things are more complicated -- just because the GPU itself supports HDCP doesn’t mean that the graphics card can output a DVI/HDCP compliant stream. There needs to be additional support at the board level, which includes licensing the HDCP decoding keys from the Digital Content Protection, LLC (a spin-off corporation within the walls of Intel).

After some investigation, Brandon and I determined that there is no shipping retail add-in board with HDCP decoding keys. Simply put, none of the AGP or PCI-E graphics cards that you can buy today support HDCP.

I did not believe this at first. Surely, I was misinterpreting the content of the emails I was receiving. After all, everyone is hyping up H.264 support and HD-DVD/Blu-Ray playback. When I go to http://www.ati.com/products/RadeonX1900/specs.html I see HDCP support listed. Am I supposed to know that the board doesn’t support it because I can go to http://www.ati.com/products/radeonx1900/radeonx1900xtx/specs.html and see that HDCP is omitted? If that’s the case, am I supposed to know that the board has “48 shader processors” when it’s only listed in the GPU specifications page?

What we’ve confirmed

We’ve been able to confirm that none of the Built-by-ATI Radeons support HDCP. If you’ve just spent $1000 on a pair of Radeon X1900 XT graphics cards expecting to be able to playback HD-DVD or Blu-Ray movies at 1920x1080 resolution in the future, you’ve just wasted your money.

NVIDIA, being a GPU manufacturer was unable to discuss the plans of board manufacturers. We contacted all six of NVIDIA’s Tier-1 board partners. None of the GeForce 6 or 7 video cards available on the market, including the most recently released GeForce 7800GS, have HDCP support. So if you just spent $1500 on a pair of 7800GTX 512MB GPUs expecting to be able to play 1920x1080 HD-DVD or Blu-Ray movies in the future, you’ve just wasted your money.

How can these companies be so oblivious? Playing Devil’s Advocate, I thought to myself that maybe, just maybe, by the time Windows Vista comes out, most people are going to upgrade their GPU. If the HDCP support was very expensive, then paying for the HDCP license now would be like paying for something you don’t use. So I dug around for HDCP licensing costs. Turns out, that the answer is available at the HDMI website. HDCP licensing requires a $15,000 annual fee and a per-device fee of $0.005, i.e. a fraction of a cent. That’s not too expensive. There goes that argument.

Things Get Worse!

Video cards are the only components in a PC that have gone up in price over time. Yet manufacturers are trying to sell video cards that don’t support HDCP? The technology has been around for years. Microsoft made it public in March 2005 that HDCP would be required for Windows Vista and reiterated it again in April 2005 – certainly the video card manufacturers were given this info before the public were. Moreover, what about companies who are already paying the $15,000 annual company fee because they produce HDCP-compliant products for televisions?

Despite my discovery that HDCP licensing is fairly cheap, I’m still trying to find an answer. There must be a silver lining somewhere. Maybe, just maybe, existing cards can be retrofitted for HDCP support. Maybe it’s simply a matter of a BIOS flash where each board gets its own serial number. If that were true, the worse case scenario would be that customers would pay a few bucks for the HDCP license.

Turns out that this was also wishful thinking.

An ATI representative said: “People will not be able to turn on HDCP through a software patch since the HDCP keys need to be present during the manufacturing. We are rolling out HDCP through OEMs at this time but we have not finalized our retail plans yet.”

As I pressed for more information about potential retail plans (i.e. trade-in programs, whether existing boards already have traces for the HDCP hardware where it can be plugged in), I got only a vague response:

“We cannot get into more detail at this time, as any further discussion would get into our trade secrets. However, we do promise to give you a full update on our retail plans once they are finalized.”

I’m not going to speculate on whether ATI’s reticence is because they’re trying to downplay a big fiasco, or if they’re trying to keep their super generous solution secret to throw off the competition. There’s actually no way to know.

Well, what about NVIDIA? They were actually very direct: “The boards themselves must be designed with an extra chip when the board is manufactured. The extra chip stores a crypto key, and you cannot retrofit an existing board after the board is produced.”

Wow. You can pick your favorite expletive.
Who Do We Blame?

Blame Canada?
As ATI is a GPU and board manufacturer, I’m disappointed that Built-by-ATI video cards lack HDCP support. Think about it. The GPU engineers are smart enough to know that their GPUs need to support HDCP, but their board engineers aren’t? Is it even possible to build a GPU without thinking about the board that has to go along with it? ATI is extremely reticent to give us any more details about “Retail Plans.” Maybe ATI owners will get lucky, and ATI will have some sort of free upgrade program. Maybe ATI owners will get shafted, and buyers of X1900XT’s are going to find themselves with a video card that cannot play HD-DVD or Blu-Ray at 1920x1080. Who knows?

Blame Santa Clara?
What about NVIDIA? Personally, I think they have the least blood on their hand for two reasons. One, they aren’t a board manufacturer. That excuse alone wouldn’t be good enough for me though.

What really gets them off the hook is that NVIDIA has been offering their board manufacturing partners designs with HDCP support since May 2005. Likewise, NVIDIA has actually shipped HDCP-enabled GeForce 6200 and 6600’s in Sony Media Center PCs. Those boards just aren’t manufactured at retail. In retrospect, they did their part. It was the board manufacturers who failed us. I don’t need to name names, because they ALL failed us.

Blame the other Santa Clara company?
HDCP is the brain-child of Intel, and now belongs to a spin-off company, Digital Content Protection, LLC. They’re the ones who profit off all of the licensing fees. If HDCP licensing were cheaper, might we have seen more PC products with HDCP support? Possibly. It still seems to me that HDCP has relatively benign pricing when it comes to licensing. It's half a cent per item. If you compare that to licensing fees for HDMI, you'll see that while both have the same $15,000 annual fee, HDMI licensing is 4 cents/per unit (if you use the maximum discount as an example). Should we blame Intel for creating HDCP in the first place? I don’t think so. HDCP was a technology made in response to Hollywood’s requests. Blue laser technology can only go so far without content.

Blame Hollywood?
HDCP is an artificial requirement – there’s no reason why HD-DVD or Blu-Ray needs content protection. Although the movie industry is among the wealthiest of all industries, Hollywood has made things tougher in their paranoia of software piracy. Can we blame Hollywood for demanding HDCP? Maybe a little bit, but they’re not responsible for this current fiasco. Movie studios have done their fair part to make high-definition home video a possibility. From the get go, Hollywood made it clear that content protection was going to be necessary for high-definition video and they gave the electronics industry ample warning. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are coming in 2006. Television manufacturers have been putting HDCP into HDTVs from as far back as 2002. While Hollywood is certainly responsible for pressuring Microsoft into requiring HDCP for Windows Vista, they set their ground rules early on.

Is it our fault?
Think about it. If consumers and reviewers didn’t use the terms GPU and graphics card interchangeably, this wouldn’t be a problem. When it was disclosed that Microsoft required HDCP for high-definition HD-DVD or Blu-Ray playback in Windows Vista, everyone turned their attention to monitors, assuming that GPUs would support it. We all know the what happens when you assume. Likewise, why didn’t reviewers investigate if features in a GPU actually made it to the board level? Most importantly, we as consumers never clamored for HDCP support.

So in a way, even consumers are at fault, right? No way. Only the truly twisted would claim that the victims brought it upon themselves. Do any of us “ask” for Direct3D or OpenGL support? It’s a given. Consumers never demanded HDCP support because it was already thought to be there.

Final thoughts
This is a tough situation. The PC world simply isn’t ready for high-definition video playback via HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. There failures occurred at so many different levels. I’ve probably burned a few bridges in this article, and I probably won’t be reviewing any video cards in the near future. Nonetheless, this was a train that had already left the station. Keeping quiet about the problem wouldn’t have stopped the customer outrage when Windows Vista was released. The solution to this problem isn’t technical. It’s political. I hope that board manufacturers will own up to the challenge and explain their actions to their customers. There's still time to come up with a solution.

Without a doubt, this is huge, startling news. As much as ATI and NVIDIA have been promoting H.264 decoding with their latest GPUs, it’s pretty shocking to see that apparently none of the shipping retail cards on the market have been built to take advantage of it. To add insult to injury, it appears that a line of Sony GeForce 6200s and 6600s offer HDCP support, yet the latest high-end GeForce 7800 GTX cards don’t. How’s that for irony?

While some of you may not plan on upgrading to Vista at the end of this year, this is eventually going to affect you if you ever planned on watching hi-def movies on your PC in the future. Microsoft will eventually end support for Windows XP; already, their Games Division is planning Vista-exclusive titles such as Halo 2. It will only be a matter of time before other software developers follow suit, forcing anyone who’s remotely interested in gaming to upgrade to Windows Vista.

Anyone with a GeForce 6/7 or Radeon X1K card who was planning on buying a BD-ROM or HD-DVD drive later this year for their PC may want to hold off on that purchase. Quite frankly, this article should affect the purchasing decisions of potentially anyone in the market for a new PC or graphics card right now that’s even remotely interested in watching hi-def movies on their PC sometime in the future.

this comes from
http://www.fraggednation.com/forum.php?action=showPosts&topicID=4915

Well reading this tells me that, it is a clear case of fraud, in the VCard manufacturers'. They have advertised their product as, capable of preforming HDCP and, knew from the word go, they wouldnt. So it is apparent they just used the claim to jack up prices on, what is essentially junk. Im glad I dont have a new $1000 to, $1500 set-up. If I did, I would start writing into the Federal Trade Commission for, being ripped off purposely by the manufacturers'. Just my opinion.

I didn't read through your entire post, but I'm confident that the protection will be circumvented quite quickly to allow full resolution output on noncompliant cards. It's really a shame that people will have to become lawbreakers just to watch movies at their intended resolution, but that's what happens when you have draconian restrictions like this.

If you want to play the blame game, I'm going to have to blame the movie companies. Ultimately they are the ones who are going to be implementing and enforcing these restrictions. The video card and monitor manufacturers are kinda just along for the ride and don't really have much say in the matter. They'll implement it eventually, but it will cost money and that will obviously be passed onto the consumer.

There's no way in hell I'm going to buy a new video card and monitor just to watch high resolution movies. I don't understand why anyone would. Not to mention I have a good feeling that there won't be any legal linux players(at least for quite a while), so us linux users are going to have to do some trickery just to be able to play the damn things. Anyone have any guesses as to what this is going to do to piracy? :D Or percieved piracy, I should say.

I guess this ended up being a bit soapboxish. Hope that was okay.

Yes, it was an incredibly long post, but nothing that hasn't been known or discussed on here or several other sites with Vista discussion threads. The same goes here as it always does with Vista related goods. Why get your panties in a bunch until you have a final product to deal with? No one really knows how or what will come about with Vista, HD-DVD, Blue-Ray, etc, so there's no point in worrying about it right now. In addition to this, as commonly stated in other threads, the HD content on a PC is going to be a very small issue for a very small group of people, and isn't going to affect anyone's purchasing decisions on Vista.

it was all new to me as of 2 days ago it was just to warn the people who didnt know and like you said this isnt going to effect my pc for dx 10 games this hd blue ray stuff. if im reading to much into this about the monitors not gonna really support it and losing 75% of my pixel performance beacuase its not hdcp compliant please tell me so i can build my new rig

t3chyo888 said:
it was all new to me as of 2 days ago it was just to warn the people who didnt know and like you said this isnt going to effect my pc for dx 10 games this hd blue ray stuff. if im reading to much into this about the monitors not gonna really support it and losing 75% of my pixel performance beacuase its not hdcp compliant please tell me so i can build my new rig
Holy run-on sentence Batman! Just wait until Vista is released or close to it. Why, with any sense of logic, would you want to be building a rig right now for an OS that isn't even about to be released? Settle down, take a deep breathe, and take your time. There have been FAR too many people panicking over Vista.

I didn't read the thread because it was probably stupid, but from what I gather it comes down to this "NEVER BUY A NEW PC OMGOGMOMGOSMDFLJ!LZLO!LLZL"

just shut up.

lock the dam post it was just something i found that seasmed like a big deal to me but i guees not and enough of the fucking retarded sarcasim. people grow up all ya had to say was theres all ready post about this and i would have deleted it. not omg not this thread again or omg what a retarded post. if you knew about this allready and it didnt matter to you or you couldnt give 2 shits about this then dont read the dam post and stfu

t3chyo888 said:
lock the dam post it was just something i found that seasmed like a big deal to me but i guees not and enough of the fucking retarded sarcasim. people grow up all ya had to say was theres all ready post about this and i would have deleted it. not omg not this thread again or omg what a retarded post. if you knew about this allready and it didnt matter to you or you couldnt give 2 shits about this then dont read the dam post and stfu

Whoa. Dont go up to the clock tower with a sniper rifle there, tex.

t3chyo888 said:
That's what the search feature is for. Would you be happy if your local news broadcast reported the same stories over and over?

Guys...instead of coming in and insulting the guy and bitching about the thread, couldn't you have used your hard earned wisdom and perhaps......reported the thread? :rolleyes:

Reporting threads is for flaming, racial remarks, spamming, etc. I don't think this is something that's reportable. It's just another case of someone thinking they have hot new facts, when it's been said many times before. The GenMay subform has some nice sayings/pictures for these types of threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back