Read only files

Apollo686

Limp Gawd
I am running Windows XP Pro and for some reason all the folders in my C:\ drive are read only. If I disable read only on them, it appears to work (subfolders too) but I check agian and they are all back to the way they were. I tried going to command prompt and doing attrib -r +s C:\Name and that didn't work either. I am really pissed because I have about 15 gigs of MP3's that need to be re-tagged and I can't do jack. If anyone knows how to fix this I would apreciate it.

Apollo686 said:
If anyone knows how to fix this I would apreciate it.

You should first try to find out why your files are being changed to read only. Check your system for virus or spyware infections. If nothing, enable auditing of those files to find out what is modifying the attributes of your files.

I have Norton SW 2005 Premier, MS Antispyware, AdAware SE, and SpySweeper 3.5.0. All have been updated to the day and run clean. I also use Firefox. Doesn't seem like there is anything foreign on my system as far as I can tell.

How do I set up auditing for the given files? I enabled auditing but I don't have a security menu when I go to properties of a given folder.

Back