• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Raptors

jdunner3

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 7, 2005
Messages
275
Are all Raptors really that loud? I just got a pair and have them in a supposed "Silent" case and the things can be heard over everything else.
 
No. No one ever said Raptors are quiet. Not that they are the loudest drive you could have, but they aren't exactly silent either.

Now I do know that the 36GB model is louder than the 74GB model. They made alot of changes to the 74GB model internally.
 
Well guess thats the sacrifice I make for the speed boost. I have the 74 gig model and am happy with the peformance so I guess I shouldnt complain. Still quieter then my old rig.
 
I've got two 74G Raptors on Raid 0. I can barely hear them. But then, my case is Antec p180... which probably helps a lot.

-Jazz
 
HDBox2d1 said:
Thats no good how the 36gb raptor is louder :(

The 36GB model has different bearings than the 74GB drive does.
 
My 74gig raptor is loud only on the read/write.

I like it, my hd led header is dead, so it's the only way to know instantly, without resources, if it's doing anything. :D
 
HippieCat said:
My 74gig raptor is loud only on the read/write.

I like it, my hd led header is dead, so it's the only way to know instantly, without resources, if it's doing anything. :D
I find the deep rumble of <5ms seeks quite satisfying personally. A much [H]arder sound than the chirp or chatter of 7200RPM ATA drives.
 
DougLite said:
I find the deep rumble of <5ms seeks quite satisfying personally. A much [H]arder sound than the chirp or chatter of 7200RPM ATA drives.

Can I get an amen!?! :D
 
I for one will ditch my 36gb for the new model once it comes out. It's been rock solid since purchase 2+years ago and will make a fine swap drive when its retired.
 
I guess the sound of the drive is a lot meatier then previous drives I have had. Now that you made it sound that way I dont mind it as much. They are faster then I thought they would be thats for sure. Not sure whats so special about the Antec p180 but I just thought my LiLi SILENT PC-V1100B would do a better job keepin the sound down. It does place the drives in a location that makes them much closer to the side panel of my case that is a few feet from my ear.
 
Back
Top