Raptor/RAID slow and chugging

Joined
Oct 28, 2004
Messages
1
I recently assembled a RAID array using my DFI LanParty NF2 Ultra B motherboard with two WD 36 Raptors; however, as soon as Windows XP Professional was installed, a general slow behaviour from the OS became apparent, being the whole system prone to temporary hangs and waits. To further investigate, I downloaded the diagnostic tool WD makes available from their support page and began testing, observing the following: altough BOTH the drives were pronounced error-free after the "Extended Test", the first one sucessfully completed it in about 12 minutes while the other took about 3 and a half hours.

This is a screenshot of the results of tests obtained with HDTach - a HDD benchmarking tool - being the Blue data my results, and the red ones obtained from the reference system depicted in the picture.

resultados_discos.JPG


Usign ATTO:

resultados_discos2.JPG


Any doctor's counseling?
 
once xp was installed did you update the driver chipsets to make sure everything was current? I know it sounds like an asshole, sarcastic type question but, it's a common thing and I don't have any knowledge about your level of competence, so I'd ask it to anyone.
 
Point of interest: unless you are doing video or other large file editing, RAID 0 is not a real benifit.

==>Lazn
 
there's the above point too, but for benchmarks he should'nt be benching 42 MB/s with a pair of raptors, my single hits's 60 average. I'd say something is bad, OR the sata cabels are routed too close to something that can cause interference, they are unshielded cables normally.
 
you might try breaking the array to see if the controller is slowing it down. who knows, it could happen.
 
Back
Top