Raptor power connection help

csidd

n00b
I just picked up a wd360gd Raptor drive. This is my first SATA drive. I see two options to connect power, the legacy and the serial power connectors. Is there any difference between the two? I can't imagine there would be seeing that they would be connected to the same power source but I just want to make sure. Also I have a 9800XT and was wondering if its ok to plug the card into the Raptor or if I should use a different HD in my case. Don't know much on why the 9800XT has to power through a HD and not just straight to the PS. Thanks for any input.

csidd

No, and what?

Just use the four pin connector for both and try to get the card and HDD each there own power line - you don't want to overload the wires. Or don't daisy-chain them both together at least, just use two cords that don't have a lot on them already if you can.

Using the four pin is fine but the 9800XT MUST be hooked up in this fashion: out from vid card to hard drive to power supply. I just don't know if the Raptor would be better off on its own. The ati manual does nopt specify if it needs to be hooked up to OS drive or if it's ok to hook up to another drive in the system. Sorry for posting in the wrong forum.

Power is power is power. Doesn't really matter. All the power leads originate from the same source inside the psu. There is no 'out' from the vid card, the power leads are just 'Y'd together. The gauge of the wire should be more than sufficient to handle the current of a 9800 and a raptor.

Also, there is a difference between the sata and legacy power connections. The power requirements are the same, but the sata power connector allows for hot-swapping while the legacy does not. If you look at the copper traces on the sata connector you will see that they are differenct lengths, which are designed to make the connection of certain circuits before others. For a permant mount drive, it wouldn't matter which one you use.

I have my one cord connected to one of my raptors and have that daisied chained with my 2nd raptor in raid 0 then have the last connector plugged into my 9800pro which is then connected to my WD120GB SATA HD.

I have no problems, again like they've said above, power is power.

Called ati and the guy said I can go straight from 9800XT to the power supply no need to go through the HD. Thanks for the info all, I appreciate it.

Back