Random net drops

I have a desktop PC with winXP and a laptop with winXP both hardwired into a BEFW11S4 (v4) Linksys Wireless-B router. I believe the term is "Gateway" for how it is being used.
Net>>>>>Modem>>>>>Router>>>>>2 PC's
up until about 2 months ago I had very few issues with the net. Then I started getting randomly dropped from the internet. It is not an inactivity deal because it happens while I am browsing or gaming or not doing anything. It happens regardless of which PC is connected or disconnected from the net. It started happening about once a week or so and has now developed into several times a night. Originally, I was rebooting the entire network and PC to fix it...but then learned that just unplugging the router and resetting it gets me back online after about 5 or 6 seconds.
There are times when the "wireless-B" light on the router is on steady and sometimes it blinks on-off about once a second. The light sometimes is on and sometimes is off when the disconnect happens. The PC does not recognize the net as having been disconnected until the router is unplugged, then I get the message box about the disconnect.
Rebooting the modem while leaving the PC and router on has also worked a couple of times I tried it.
I downloaded the latest firmware for the router from Linksys but feel like an idiot because it has no instructions for how to install it. When clicked it asks what to use to open it. ???:(

Can anyone give me some info on this? How to instal the firmware? Whether maybe the old router has seen its end? Is there a setting that needs adjustment? Would I be better off with a wired router? Suggest one?

Thanks for your time.

Back