Raidmax Smilodon

rkf76

Limp Gawd
Anybody have any experience with this case? I'm considering getting it but want to hear some feedback so I can ensure i'm taking all things into consideration.

smil1.jpg

I know that Raidmax makes pretty bad cases. Cheap and not well made at all, plus they are usually very ugly. Although that one isn't that bad.

My raidmax X1 was a good case.

A tiny bit flexible with the doors off... but when theyre on it was totally solid.

I like the Smildon, just not the name... and the fact it's branded right on the front.

Raidmax cases are decent for the sub-$50 price range as long as you realize your not getting all the niceties of the higher priced cases (strong side panels, tooless designs, better airflow, etc). I'm afraid that if your going to buy an $85 Raidmax case though your going to feel pretty ripped off.

Does anyone else read "Smilodon" and think "dinosaur with a permanent grin"?

I recently built a system in that case. I really liked it.

The fan "bar" thing across the window was kinda wierd, but that's all I can think of.

Oh yeah, the front 3 "bars" on the door light up blue, and the middle one flashes red with HD activity. The red could be brighter.

Oompa said:
I know that Raidmax makes pretty bad cases. Cheap and not well made at all, plus they are usually very ugly. Although that one isn't that bad.
That seems more a generalization than anything. Have you checked out this case specifically? I know i've looked at quite a few Raidmax cases and wasn't feeling them at all, except for the x1, but this one is different. I would like to see one in person before deciding on it though cause I would like to have something that looks and feels worthy.

Arcygenical said:
My raidmax X1 was a good case.
A tiny bit flexible with the doors off... but when theyre on it was totally solid.
I like the Smildon, just not the name... and the fact it's branded right on the front.
Was the x1 aluminum or steel? This one is steel, IIRC, so while it may be a bit heavier, it should add some stability. And since I don't do the LAN party thing, weight isn't an issue. I'm not really feeling the branding either, but I have a fix for that.

pain.angel said:
Raidmax cases are decent for the sub-$50 price range as long as you realize your not getting all the niceties of the higher priced cases (strong side panels, tooless designs, better airflow, etc). I'm afraid that if your going to buy an $85 Raidmax case though your going to feel pretty ripped off.
Really? This thing has tooless design, an integrated tool box, a drop down motherboard tray, removable screwless harddrive rack, 6 fan mounts (4 of which are included), GPU stabilizer, dual removable side panels that fold down and are removable, steel construction, 3 stage paint, brushed aluminum front panel, i'm no case guru but those all seem like desirable features for such an affordable piece.

filthysanchez said:
that thing only has 80 mm fans in it too.
Negative, it comes with 3 80mm fans and 1 120mm fan on the front.

SarverSystems said:
I recently built a system in that case. I really liked it.
The fan "bar" thing across the window was kinda wierd, but that's all I can think of.
Oh yeah, the front 3 "bars" on the door light up blue, and the middle one flashes red with HD activity. The red could be brighter.
Good deal. What other cases have you used? Thanks for your input.

I've built in everything from Antec P180 to Apevia X-Qpack and everything in between. I even have a 2U and 4U rack here I built (and moded).

The X1 was steel... With an aluminum face plate. Same thing as the smiling dinosaur :D. I don't like raidmax's shiny finishes tho...

I like the Masstige better than the Smildon.

SarverSystems said:
I've built in everything from Antec P180 to Apevia X-Qpack and everything in between. I even have a 2U and 4U rack here I built (and moded).
Cool beans. Sounds like you've got a little experience.

Arcygenical said:
The X1 was steel... With an aluminum face plate. Same thing as the smiling dinosaur :D. I don't like raidmax's shiny finishes tho...
I like the Masstige better than the Smildon.
Interesting. I guess it's all about personal preference.

Back