Raid Question

Zekenstein

n00b
Well, my Raid 0 74 GB raptors gave out, the system froze and then upon restart it just said scanning for drives and then system disk failure. It booted a little while later but quickly crashed again. they're under warranty, so no problem, but my question is, for the purpose of data security if i added a 150 GB Raptor 10k and set it to a Raid 0+1 array would I see a visible decline in performance? It's not so much fear of losing data, i rarely hav anything of importance, it;'s just such a pain in the ass having to reformat and reinstall the OS, games, etc. etc. etc. Thanks in advance guys, you're [H] brilliance never ceases to amaze me.

RAID 0+1/ 10 usually does not work with an odd number of drives. What controller are you using that will give you this option?

sounds more like the array died instead of the drives. and do some searching on raid 0, there just isnt much of an increase performance to justify doing it imho.

drizzt81 said:
RAID 0+1/ 10 usually does not work with an odd number of drives. What controller are you using that will give you this option?
usually?
is there a situtation where it does?

not nitpicking, just wondering if you know something I don't

EnderW said:
usually?

No I do not know more than you. Since I don't know a lot, there is a chance that someone, somewhere has created a RAID-10 array with an odd number of drives... and I just did not want to deal with the hair-splitting.

drizzt81 said:
No I do not know more than you. Since I don't know a lot, there is a chance that someone, somewhere has created a RAID-10 array with an odd number of drives... and I just did not want to deal with the hair-splitting.
If you think about it, a 3 disc RAID5 array would be about the closest you could get, don't you think?

But that wouldn't be a raid 0+1 then.

I'm sure some software raids could probably do a raid 0+1 though.

how long did you had this raid 0 setup until it died? Mine has been almost 2 years and rock solid.

Are you trying to ask if you could Raid1 RAID0 74gb raptors and a raptor 150, because that's not an option. You could get a third 74gb raptor and go for raid5, but this would be pointless without also buying a good raid controller. You could just get a big storage drive in addition to the raid0 raptors, and do a nightly backup of the system drive. Then if the array dies, you just restore from the image you have on the storage drive. Would leave plenty of room for storage on the bigger drive too.

EnderW said:
usually?

Sure, an array in degraded mode, that is, one of the mirrored discs has failed and has not been replaced yet. Depending upon the card/software , you can establish arrays like this in order to build the computer now while you are waiting on the extra drives.

drizzt81 said:
By definition raid-10 requires an even number of devices - you create a mirrored pair, and then stripe it with another mirrored pair. However, I guess in raid 0+1 one could stripe say 3 200gb disks in one half, stripe 2 300s in the other half, and mirror those two arrays. It'd be a mess, but it'd work.

Raid 1+0 is made of pairs; raid 0+1 is made of two arrays. Therein lies the difference. Use raid 1+0 if you have the choice between the two.

Tekara said:
Sure, an array in degraded mode, that is, one of the mirrored discs has failed and has not been replaced yet. Depending upon the card/software , you can establish arrays like this in order to build the computer now while you are waiting on the extra drives.
True, but you'd need a 4th disk to create the array in the first place.
As far as creating a degraded array and waiting for the extra drive, I've never heard of that, but you wouldn't have any redundancy without all the drives, so it seems kinda pointless to me.

unhappy_mage said:
Raid 1+0 is made of pairs; raid 0+1 is made of two arrays. Therein lies the difference. Use raid 1+0 if you have the choice between the two.
this is the first time that someone explained the difference and I understood it intuitively.

drizzt81 said:
this is the first time that someone explained the difference and I understood it intuitively.

i will agree with drizzt81 here. i dont claim to know a whole lot on raid, but UM has helped expand my knowledege once more. thx UM!

Back