RAID 6 arcea or 3ware? and why?

400+whpwrx

Gawd
Joined
Sep 27, 2003
Messages
557
Well which would you go with?

Looking for a solution that could do up to 10+ drives.

Open to multiple card solution (so long as it doesn't cost an arm and a leg).

Suggestions?
 
I went with a Areca 1261ML because they've been supporting RAID 6 for a long time now. I believe only now 3ware is adding support for RAID 6.

Areca is also highly regarded around here so it's probably a safe bet.
 
Yeah i would definitely go with Areca, never heard anything bad from them and the card i have works great, Areca 1230, thinking of moving to Raid 6 but i didn't have enough drives when i first started. I believe it has raid roaming so i should be able to switch to raid 6... Expanding the array went flawlessly, took some time though 4 hours for 2tb.
 
Areca (the new series 1231,61, etc), theyve got a newer proc in em, an amazingly raid5 and 6 are still processing limited as with the introduction of the new processor reads/writes went up like 200 mb/s. Its pretty amazing
 
HighPoint has a hardware RAID 6 card out now. I believe its only 8 ports, but most of the others can daisy, it might as well.

What are your requirements? As in speed etc?
 
Back
Top