raid 10 question?

kandor

Gawd
Joined
Aug 24, 2005
Messages
632
Hi,

I've been using a 4 disk raid 5 with the ich8r chipset on my motherboard (asus p5b deluxe). Obviously it's not as fast as with a seperate controller. So I've decided to switch to raid 10 (1+0).

I'm figuring this should perform better since there is no parity to calculate. I'm just posting here to find out if there is some catch I'm not aware of?

tia,

Kandor
 
It is true! I am ok with that.

I've realized though that the ich8r supports raid 0+1 not 1+0 though I'm not sure what the implications are of that?

Also, when I created this raid 10 (a few minutes ago), the disk management snap-in will only allow me to create a 'dynamic' volume. I'm sure I remember the original raid5 being basic? Certainly the 2 other arrays on this system are basic (one is a mirror and one is a stripe).

Does anyone know why it would only allow dynamic?

Thanks,

Kandor
 
It will not allow me to initialize it as a basic disk. I have no idea why. I'm going to erase the partition and try again.

The array was created in bios (intel controller bios). But the wizard that appears automatically when you launch the disk management snap-in only offers dynamic/simple.

Kandor
 
I've cancelled the format and rebooted to try again. After rebooting the disk management snapin only allows 1 action 'new volume' and the disk is listed as 'disk 2' Dynamic - 465 gb, online.

So basically I have no option, windows already sees it as a dynamic disk. I have no reason to prefer basic over dynamic though - is this even a problem? I'm more curious why it's recognized differently.

Update* - wow, that's nice programming, if you right click on the gray 'disk 2' label an option to 'convert to basic disk' exists. It appears no where else!

So now, should I convert to basic or leave dynamic?

Thanks again,

Kandor
 
I am a KISS fan: if you do not need the features provided by dynamic volumes, use a basic one if you can.
 
Back
Top