Quanticles
Limp Gawd
- Joined
- Feb 25, 2005
- Messages
- 139
Hi,
My computer can hold 3 harddrives. I would like to have some redundancy for my system, but I would also like to have a large amount of space. Ideally I would like to be able to run Raid 1 with three disks, but have only double redundancy. Meaning, I would like to combine three 500GB harddrives and get 750 MB of space out of it. Does anyone know if this is possible?
If the disks were broken into 250mb halves. Disk 1 would mirror one half with Disk 2, and one half with Disk 3.
I know there is Raid 5 that works with three disks, but I dont think the performance would be as good as this, since it requires a large amount of calculation for writes, and each block is only available on one disk (no mirroring). On the other hand, it would allow me to have a full terabyte of data.
Any ideas?
Thanks
My computer can hold 3 harddrives. I would like to have some redundancy for my system, but I would also like to have a large amount of space. Ideally I would like to be able to run Raid 1 with three disks, but have only double redundancy. Meaning, I would like to combine three 500GB harddrives and get 750 MB of space out of it. Does anyone know if this is possible?
If the disks were broken into 250mb halves. Disk 1 would mirror one half with Disk 2, and one half with Disk 3.
I know there is Raid 5 that works with three disks, but I dont think the performance would be as good as this, since it requires a large amount of calculation for writes, and each block is only available on one disk (no mirroring). On the other hand, it would allow me to have a full terabyte of data.
Any ideas?
Thanks