RAID 0 Array - What to buy... what to buy...

C

ChaosTheory

I'm thinking of setting up a RAID 0 array. My current hard drive is almost full and about 2/3 the speed it should be (80 GB drive, 57 GB used, 23 MB/s speed). I'm looking for a set of SATA drives (my mobo only supports SATA RAID), with at least 160 GB of total storage. I don't want to spend over $250.

I've looked through all the drives out there, but it's really hard to find up-to-date, reliable hard drive reviews to base a decision on.

Storage Review's articles are both accurate and up-to-date. Their recommendation is the same as mine: Hitachi Deskstar 7K250s. Just be sure you understand the risks before partaking in RAID 0.

seagate 7200.7's. They are uber quiet, uber low temps, and they only use 2 platters and fluid bearings. My 7200 array runs much better then my buddies wdjb array. Plus as of a few months ago, seagate was the only true sata, the rest are just ide drives with built in serial-o ide to sata chips.

Originally posted by nightanole
Plus as of a few months ago, seagate was the only true sata, the rest are just ide drives with built in serial-o ide to sata chips.
It doesn't translate to higher performance, but you are still right.

Back