RAID 0 any less reliable than standalone?

shadowsz14

Weaksauce
Is RAID 0 less reliable than single hard drives? Also - does SMART technology work in RAID configurations?

Yes. Say a drive has a .00000001% chance of failing today. Then two drives will have a .00000002% and 3 drives has .00000003% chance and so on. That is why failure tolerant RAID configurations exist. Yes S.M.A.R.T. does work. It is a capability of an individual drive, independent of configuration.

Let's say you have a pair of 80 GB hard drives each in two different computers. Computer A has the drives in single-drive configurations; Computer B has them set up in RAID 0. A freak incident causes a drive in each computer to fail. Computer A would lose 1/2 of the data it had, assuming that both drives were full. Computer B would lose ALL of the data on the array because the array's contents were evenly split across each drive and one drive's data cannot be properly read without the other drive's data.

In conclusion, the risk of drive failure is equally* likely with or without RAID, but the effects of data loss from that failure are more devastating than in a single-drive configuration.

* Equally, barring RAID controller failure, which is extremely unlikely.

Originally posted by xonik
* Equally, barring RAID controller failure, which is extremely unlikely.

unless of course its on a mobo, where the chances of its loss (from mobo failure) dramatically increase, I had that happen with my first array, and since I didnt like the idea of having to select a new mobo based on its RAID chip, I wrote off the array.

Back