RagE's "Bugography" 2009

how are you taking these bugs at 200mm macro? dont they fly away? thats my main problem :p

The trick is you have to go early in the morning. Everything moves slowly then. If you look at the EXIF for most of those images, you will notice most of them were taken between 5 to 10 am. I used to also go out in the evenings but, as you've noticed, everything is too fast.

awesome shots. where did you go to find all those spiders? hate those things and would like to know where not to go to avoid ever having to see that many varieties of the 8-legged bastards.

The trick is you have to go early in the morning. Everything moves slowly then. If you look at the EXIF for most of those images, you will notice most of them were taken between 5 to 10 am. I used to also go out in the evenings but, as you've noticed, everything is too fast.

OOo alright, ty so much

awesome shots. where did you go to find all those spiders? hate those things and would like to know where not to go to avoid ever having to see that many varieties of the 8-legged bastards.

Heh, sorry to inform you but I find these guys everywhere :D

Last edited:
Blurb blurb blurb, the people demand a new book!

Funny you should say that, I am almost done it. This time it will be a three-year collection. Probably around 90-100 pages when I'm done.

These are the last for the season, I think :( Getting frost in the mornings now and snow predicted for this weekend :(

(Note: The host server does not always like hotlinked images so if the pics show as
missingpic.jpg
refresh the page and they should come up.)

Couple of hoppers:

hopper6.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm f4 micro, 1/60, f/18, ISO 100, monopod, triple flash

hopper5.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm f4 micro, 1/60, f/22, ISO 100, handheld, flash

A little bark crab spider:

spider74.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm f4 micro, 1/60, f/22, ISO 100, handheld, flash

I think this is a tobacco budworm:
catplr19.jpg

Nikon D2X, Nikkor 200mm f4 micro, 1/60, f/22, ISO 100, monopod, triple flash

I'm heading out again for the last time this weekend but don't expect to find much life.

Last edited:
Great pics! Are there any bugs on pumpkins by any chance? Halloween, ftw! ;)

where are you taking these pics rage if i may ask? like backyard? woods?

I have in the past found photo-worthy subjects in my backyard but lawn does not make for much of a background. These are all captured in Provincial Parks: dirt roads, meadows, lake shores, etc.

I have in the past found photo-worthy subjects in my backyard but lawn does not make for much of a background. These are all captured in Provincial Parks: dirt roads, meadows, lake shores, etc.

ah alright, tyvm, and are insects really that much slower in the mornings? hum, ill try it out this saturday, im getting new flash soon, but regardless, tyvm for info, any other tips?

Funny you should say that, I am almost done it. This time it will be a three-year collection. Probably around 90-100 pages when I'm done.

Awesome, count me in for one again. I'd like mine signed too! =)

Plus I might be getting in touch with you for a signed print of the "Kitten" shot, will see how much dough I can spare based on how expensive the D3S is next week. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go that route and then save for the 200-400, so its going to be an expensive fall =)

You know, I really hate to ask this bro, but I wanna do shots like these myself, and I want to move farthur up the totem pole camera wise.... I have a Fuji Z200fd, I would like to move into more the macro world and whatnot....... Around about how much did your setup cost? if you dont mind me asking.

Oh, and I will be sending you an e-mail later about getting some prints from ya, there are 5 shots here that are so amazing that some 13x19's would be nice to frame and put up on my wall.

My gear is rather expensive but the real key to this sort of photography is the 200mm macro and the diffused flash right out over the lens

Awesome, count me in for one again. I'd like mine signed too! =)

Plus I might be getting in touch with you for a signed print of the "Kitten" shot, will see how much dough I can spare based on how expensive the D3S is next week. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go that route and then save for the 200-400, so its going to be an expensive fall =)

Forgot to mention that the book is ready:

Beautiful photography! It's so tempting but I think my wife would beat me to death with it if she saw it on the coffee table :p
Maybe I should get the paperback

Back