Radeon RX 5600 XT Launch Review Round Up

You have any documentation for this? I was not aware of this and would like to read up on the changes to this, as I am sure others would.

Apparently Control was a one-off. It used shaders instead of Tensors

Going forward from Wolfenstein YoungBlood onwards DLSS will use Tensor Cores (as per Nvidia's response to Techspot)

Nvidia tells us that DLSS 2.0 is the version that will be used in all DLSS-enabled games going forward; the shader core version, DLSS 1.9, was a one-off and will only be used for Control.

It’s also apparent from the Youngblood results that the AI network tensor core version is superior to the shader core version in Control. In a perfect world, we would get the shader version enabled for non-RTX GeForce GPUs, but Nvidia told us that's not in their plans and the shader version hasn’t worked well in other games.

Nvidia also told us that older titles supporting DLSS will require game-side updates to get 2.0 level benefits due to the new SDK and that’s in the hands of developers, but we doubt those will get support. Battlefield V and Metro Exodus appear to have the same DLSS implementations as when we first tested these titles, flaws and all.

https://hardforum.com/threads/hardware-unboxed-dlss-in-2020.1993053/#post-1044508500

Techspot breaks down the article with high res pictures:
https://www.techspot.com/article/1992-nvidia-dlss-2020/

Here are zoomed in screenshots of Control at 4k, 4k DLSS, and then 1440p upscale:
View attachment 226285
The 4k DLSS looks muck closer to 4k than 1440p upscaled.

Now for performance as vram/ram/fps
4k: 6850 8450 45fps
DLSS: 6100 7600 82fps
Upscale: 6100 7550 80fps

Not only is performance similar to that of 1440p upscaled, but memory requirements are about the same as well.

wonder where i can get a bios update for mine since i was a early adapter?

if you are early adopter of the xfx rx 5600xt with 12gbs memory there will be no bios updates for these cards. if you buy one make sure it reads 14gbs on the box or wait for tpu to have one in their database.

if you are early adopter of the xfx rx 5600xt with 12gbs memory there will be no bios updates for these cards. if you buy one make sure it reads 14gbs on the box or wait for tpu to have one in their database.
Some of the early 5600XT cards where built cheaply and will not handle 14Gbs even though that is the memory spec bring used.

Yes, unfortunately XFX was planning to launch separate line of overclocked 14ghz cards

So, the initial 12ghz cards wouldn't be guaranteed for stability at higher memory frequencies

If your card has dual bios setup, maybe you can try flashing bios of the new 14ghz cards on the old 12ghz cards !?

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios...X+5600+XT&interface=&memType=&memSize=&since=

Did you manage to get bios updated ?

AMD has officially branded the Radeon RX 5600 XT as a 14 Gbps card, which can be spotted on the GPU’s official landing page. AMD has also set up a separate site that lists all SKUs eligible for the 14 Gbps graphics memory speed update, and how to get it from their respective manufacturers.

https://www.thefpsreview.com/2020/0...600-xt-gpus-graphics-memory-speed-to-14-gbps/

“A list of Radeon RX 5600 XT models available with 14 Gbps graphics memory speed is below,” AMD wrote. “Updated Radeon RX 5600 XT models from several manufacturers are now available for purchase from leading etailers/retailers. Other models can be updated by following the instructions on the manufacturer websites listed below. This list will be updated as more models are added and further instructions become available.”

Did you manage to get bios updated ?

AMD has officially branded the Radeon RX 5600 XT as a 14 Gbps card, which can be spotted on the GPU’s official landing page. AMD has also set up a separate site that lists all SKUs eligible for the 14 Gbps graphics memory speed update, and how to get it from their respective manufacturers.

https://www.thefpsreview.com/2020/0...600-xt-gpus-graphics-memory-speed-to-14-gbps/
still no vbios update for 14gbs. have not seen one on any site i visit. TPU appears to be have to have most updates. XFX may have some later as there are no dls for the "new" products they offer.

Looks like the early buyers, esp. from vendors who sold multiple version of the card got shafted

https://hothardware.com/news/amd-radeon-rx-5600-xt-memory-firmware-updates

My understanding is that all of the memory chips on Radeon RX 5600 XT cards can actually run at 14Gbps, so the issue is not the chips themselves. Instead, it's how the cards are designed and validated—there are different power and cooling requirements involved, so it's not always as easy as just flipping a switch. AMD's updated firmware essentially bumps up the power delivery to the card and memory.

AIBs that released multiple versions of the card such as XFX, ASUS, MSI would have used diff specced circuitry/cooling for the diff versions & validated them against only the initial planned memory specs. When AMD raised the specs for the memory, they have to retest & confirm if all cards with lower spec can work properly for the new spec

Okay, I'm not a total newb, but I am confused: My MSI RX 5600 XT Gaming X (I may have missed an "X" or two), is freshly updated with the new BIOS. Yeah, that was a few hoops I had to jump through.
(Oh, why did the MSI Live Update app tell me my "old" BIOS was current??? Grrr.)

BTW, the new BIOS is variously labeled 304, 017.001.000.068, and some others. Shrug.

With MSI Afterburner open and/or GPU-Z, I now see a Core clock at 1780 MHz (Afterburner) or 1615 MHz (GPU-Z). Running Furmark (v1.21.1.0) and logging the GPU-Z sensors, I get GPU clocks ~1700 MHz.
(All with stock voltages and stock fan profiles. I just updated the BIOS.) So, it's "round about something better than 1615 but not quite 1780"...so why are those two values listed???)

Now, let's talk MEMORY. WTF.
It should either be 12 Gbps or 14 Gbps. (14 with the BIOS update.)
Well...the new "Memory Clock" on Afterburner is 1750 MHz. That's 1.75 GHz. Hmmm.
Looking at GPU-Z, it shows the same.
Looking at the GPU-Z sensor log after running Furmark, The Memory Clock is rock solid at 1750 MHz. Great. That (like the cpu clocks) is nicely boosted from the previous BIOS.

How does one figure the Memory Speed based on the Memory Clock???

Oh...and some sites are misrepresenting the memory: they're using "GHz" instead of "Gbps". That doesn't help.

TL;DR:
Core/GPU clock ratings don't match actual performance numbers.
Memory Speed vs. Memory bandwidth: how is that calculated?

To take the memory speed that you see in gpuz/afterburner, multiply by 8 to get to the numbers you see reported (i.e. 1775 MHz *8=14Ghz).

The terms GHz and gbps are interchangeable. The former represents the "effective" operating speed of the memory (8 bytes being sent per Hertz means it's effectively running 8x faster than reality) and the latter representing the actual throughput in bytes using the same math. Since in both cases the constant base of 1 byte per Hertz applies, the math will always work out the same. Which one is "more" correct is one of those arguments thats akin to politics.

Reactions: c3k
like this
Back