Radeon HD 5770 on Asus P5WD2

(I'm not sure if this post would make more sense in the Motherboards section or in the Video Cards section, but I'm gonna post it in both, so please pardon the spam...)

Hello my highly regarded and enlightening pals,

I have this Asus P5WD2 mobo back from the 2006's, Intel 955X chipset. Still running my old Pentium D 930 3.00 GHz with 2 GB 667 DDR2. Don't ask me why it has taken me so long to get real, because that's precisely what I'm trying to do now...

I have started the process of upgrading from my present configuration and the first steps have been taken (bought two Dell U2410s.) Since I kinda wanna wait a bit longer for the Gulftown hexacores (a.k.a. Core i9), I figured out that I'd better start buying the graphics stuff (displays are done now.) I want one of those Radeon HD 5770 pseudo-monstrosities. ($180) I'm not a gamer, but I want to get something that would be nice enough for some 2 years.

Anyone with experience with the Asus P5WD2 can tell me if I can install one of the new Radeon HD 5770 on it while I get a new mobo|CPU? And if so, what are the power requirements and/or changes?

Is this possible??? Thanks in advance!

It has a 16x PCIE slot, so in short, it should be able to accommodate a 5770.
The second PCIE lane is only a 4x slot though, so I wouldn't attempt to Crossfire on it.

Power consumption numbers:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5770-review-test/11

Single GPU 5770

* System in IDLE = 228 Watts
* System with GPU in FULL Stress = 321 Watts
* Difference (GPU load) = 93 Watt

So you should have at least a 350W power supply. A 450W or greater would give you more headroom.

Back