rack mount modem and router

cj3waker

2[H]4U
Im looking at moving my systems into a single rack configuration. I have a smaller (smaller than standard surfboard) cable modem and dir-655 that I was hoping to find some type of server bracket for, 1u preferred, 2u if necessary.

Any ideas?

It will probably be both easier and cheaper to just get a rack shelf (which you can put more than just these two items on) as opposed to getting custom mounting brackets/faceplates.)

I'm running a RV082 Linksys router(rack mount) and my cable modem is resting on a rack shelf along with my wifes D-Link NAS.

037ed7ef.jpg

I don't know of a bracket but what about sticky backed velcro then attach it to the equipment right above or below where you want this piece to live?

shelf and velcro or maybe even come slot screws seems to be the way to go. Now I need to find some cheap server chassis

Yep get a shelf, you can get them at Monoprice for way under 100 bucks, too.

One of these days I'll invest in a rackmount switch and that setup will look a bit nicer. :D

cj3waker, probably your cheapest 'server case' would be a mid tower pc you already own in a pair of these Gruber rails for around $25 US:
gruberrackrails34102100.jpg

Red Squirrel, You don't specifically need a rack mount switch to clean that up. Just install a finger duct between the switch and patch panel and hide the wires inside.
wp001192j.jpg

And actually, in your set up, I'd drop everything down a little and put another finger duct above the patch panel too and put that bottom most equipment above. It'd look a lot more tidy.

Yeah I've been trying to find a place that sells those. I found automationdirect.com, though the shipping is going to cost an arm and a leg. I also want vertical ducts. I plan to redo the whole rack at some point. I still want a rack mount switch so I can just do patch panel port 1 to port 1 of the switch, 2 to 2 etc... The last ports of the switch would be for the servers and stuff.

Back