Rack mount KVM suggestions

Teecee

Gawd
I am about to install two more 50U 4-post racks at work and need to get a good KVM for my rack mount LCD. I have used the Dell 180AS and 2160AS in the past and they are fine but was wondering what your thoughts are on some other brands of KVM. A few requirements.

Rack mountable
At least 8 ports, prefer 16
Cat5 interface for SIPS cables
Expandable, so I can chain more to the same console
Control via IP is not a must but a plus

So if you have some experience with some nice KVMs please let me know. Remember that I am not looking for the typical desktop KVM. This will be installed in a rack to control servers.

Maybe they have fixed it, but there was a huge problem I used to have with the Dell KVM solution. The LCDs they used could only support 60hz and 75hz, but the Linux based setup CD the shipped with their servers used 62hz. This cause me to have to hook up a spare monitor to perform the OS install. Other than that, they work well.

i can probably get you a cheap 8 port vga kvm, no ip access but rack mountable.. we have a couple sitting around. We only use Raritans now.

I have a HP and Compaq rack KVM, they both work great. About $40 on ebay.

I have a HP and Compaq rack KVM, they both work great. About $40 on ebay.

Got a link? How many servers were they connected too? Via Cat5?

i can probably get you a cheap 8 port vga kvm, no ip access but rack mountable.. we have a couple sitting around. We only use Raritans now.

That is two for Raritan, I am going to have to check it out. Any particular model? I dont plan on spending over $1500.

Back