r9800pro $195

Anyone thinking about holding out until R420 to get a graphics card? I'm thinking the 9x00 series is on its last legs, to be replaced by ATi when the R420 is released.

But, thats not for a couple months, right?

Originally posted by lorcani
Anyone thinking about holding about holding out until R420 to get a graphics card? I'm thinking the 9x00 series is on its last legs, to be replaced by ATi when the R420 is released.

But, thats not for a couple months, right?
The 9800pro/XT are still the top end cards and the fact that you can buy top end at $200 is nothing short of fantastic.

Not very likely that the top end card is on its last legs, unless you already have decent video....then a waiting for the r420 might be worth it for ya :)

But they are going to release a new series like the 9200/9600/9800, so won't this fade into obscurity like the 9500/9700 (yeah, many people still have them, but no one really buys them anymore)?

LoL @
Originally posted by lorcani
so won't this fade into obscurity like the 9500/9700 (yeah, many people still have them, but no one really buys them anymore)?
Knowing exactly what you're talking about makes me feel like i'm spending too much time here, LoL

You do raise a valid point but looking at ATI's current roadmap might actually answer our questions (when will R420 be released?).

Q2'04 is really ambiguous, though. I've heard "don't upgrade now, R420 is just around the corner." I'm sitting cushy with my BBA 9600 Pro, but its a noticeable step up to the "best-of-the-best" cards that I will probably be buying next.

I read you on the "spending too much time here" thing. The slogan should be "[H]: its not as serious as a drug addiction, but, when was the last time heroin made you feel geeky?" :p

Back