Quotas on shared drives

benutne

[H]ard|Gawd
This one is a bit tricky. We have our file server. In a shared folder on that hard drive, and under that shared folder, we have another folder called "Users." Under that folder there is a folder for each and every user in the company. I used the profile tab under ADUC to map a home folder to those folders and set it to the U drive for every user.

Net effect, when you log in, you get a network drive in My Computer that shows up as the U drive.

Now I want to put a quota on those drives/folders, but when I right click on the drive in My Computer and bring up properties, the "Quota" tab doesn't show up. Am I doing something wrong, or is there another way to put a quota in effect for these drives/folders?

you can only use Quota Management on a physical drive, not a networked virtual drive

spend $50 get another HDD.. install it.. Name it U .create your folders .map it..and viola..

I just found out that Windows Server 2003 R2 has advanced quota management that allows you to set a quota on folders. Time to upgrade to R2 then I guess.

benutne said:
I just found out that Windows Server 2003 R2 has advanced quota management that allows you to set a quota on folders. Time to upgrade to R2 then I guess.

I have a question on this. I have Windows Server 2003 licenses, can I get R2 and use the same licenses?

Stang Man said:
I have a question on this. I have Windows Server 2003 licenses, can I get R2 and use the same licenses?

The CD Key of my version of R2 is different than the CD key for my original Win2K3 install. So I'm pretty sure the answer is no.

Back