Quieting old hard drive.

c0rrupt

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 25, 2004
Messages
102
I'm running a small IRC server, which has a 2GB Western Digital 5400RPM Hard Drive with an annoying whine. What would be some good and cheap ways to try and silence this thing?
 
get some rubber washers and put them between the case and the hard drive, and another washer on the screw so the HD doesnt have contact with the case. I did that, dunno if it help but i know it stopped some vibration
 
I was thinking about trying this. Get an old or non working CD Rom Drive, gut it, and line the inside w/ something to absorb sound, then stick the HD in that.
 
c0rrupt said:
I was thinking about trying this. Get an old or non working CD Rom Drive, gut it, and line the inside w/ something to absorb sound, then stick the HD in that.

While that might help with the noise, it could cause the drive to overheat which would shorten it's life expectancy considerably. Not sure how much airflow an old 2 Gigger needs so this might not be an issue, but being prudent never hurt.....
 
Back
Top