Quick question about metrics

WGM

noobie
Hey all,

I have a customer who has 2 separate networks in their office. One network is for a one system and the other network is for their wireless internet connection.

Long story short, one of the machines needs to have access to both. It's a desktop. With both Ethernet adapters installed, the wireless connection does not see the internet. If I disable the wired NIC, the web connection comes back. What is going on here?

Can I rectify this problem by assigning metrics to one of the NICs? Help me out.

I believe traffic comes back on a default if you have no metrics, if the metric is assigned, the traffic comes back on the NIC it went out.

Can I rectify this problem by assigning metrics to one of the NICs?

Yes.

Too lazy to re-write look here: http://www.ezlan.net/metrics.html

Ok, that was a good read...one follow up question:

If I assign the wireless lan a lower metric, will the resources of the wired connection still be available? This machine will need to be able to access both networks, I just want the internet to work properly and point to the wifi link for that resource.

Well if I understand metrics correctly, if you don't have any assigned and you have a wired NIC and a wireless NIC both go out fine, but return traffic would go tot he wired NIC. If they both have a metric assigned, traffic should come back to the correct NIC.

Maybe someone could clarify that if I'm wrong. :)

Just a follow up....assigning metrics worked.

I assigned 10 to the wifi link and 20 to the LAN link. Voila!

Back