• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Quick PC speaker question

dBTelos

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Apr 17, 2006
Messages
1,248
I have came down to a couple things in my search for a sound card and speakers. I will use the speakers for music, and music alone. My main focus is on quality, not volume. I listen to all types of rock music. From classic to industrial (Pink Floyd to Nine Inch Nails). I'm thinking no more then $200-300 for the sound card and speakers. I figure that I want a SB Audigy2 ZS or a X-FI Xtreme Music for a sound card, and either the Logitech Z-2300s or the Klipsch PM 2.1s. I can't really position my speakers right for 5.1 and not much music is coded for 5 or 4 sound channels, so 2.1 is the way to go. I have heard that Logitech speakers are rather boomy for bass, and Klipsch is more focused on quality, which is what I want. I'm not sure if what the X-FI XM offers makes it worth it over the Audigy 2 ZS. What do you guys think?
 
X-FI sound card is more powerfull than the audigy 2, x-fi Is great if your making a new build or if you use headphones, zipzoom fly and amazon have the x-fi on sale, about 130$ for the platinum and $80 for the music ver after mail in rebates. Honestly I would not invest in a 2.1 system since they are usually overpriced similar to the 5.1 system. I would get the klipsch promedia ultra $200 best buy when it becomes avaliable again, or logitech 5500 for about $220, If your tight on space you can remove 2 speakers, simple as that. Even better get an old receiver and 2 speakers. Good luck man
 
ellover009 said:
X-FI sound card is more powerfull than the audigy 2, x-fi Is great if your making a new build or if you use headphones, zipzoom fly and amazon have the x-fi on sale, about 130$ for the platinum and $80 for the music ver after mail in rebates. Honestly I would not invest in a 2.1 system since they are usually overpriced similar to the 5.1 system. I would get the klipsch promedia ultra $200 best buy when it becomes avaliable again, or logitech 5500 for about $220, If your tight on space you can remove 2 speakers, simple as that. Even better get an old receiver and 2 speakers. Good luck man

The 5.1 version of 2.1 speakers, is just another 2 sats. and a center channel, which I don't need. I'd be more then happy to buy some really good 2.1 speakers, but the selection seems slim.
 
I listen to a lot of songs with a good deal of bass in them, I think I need a sub.
 
dBTelos said:
Well, as I do some research, it seems that headphones maybe the way to go. I'm guessing the X-Fi Xtreme Music would go well with the below headphones?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16826106303

Would a M-Audio sound card be better for headphone, music listening?

Like this http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=361113
By saving money on the sound card, you can spend more on the amp/cans. The Chaintech AV-710 has a pretty good DAC, and the ~$60 PA2V2 from electric-avenues.com should do justice to almost any headphones.

Rough guide for $80-$150 cans
$150-$300
 
dBTelos said:
I listen to a lot of songs with a good deal of bass in them, I think I need a sub.
Yea, if that's the case then a 2.0 setup such as the swans M200 will be lacking the bass.

Headphones, for the same amount of money, will yield much better sound quality.

If you enjoy a lot of bass, try and listen to the beyerdynamic DT770pro and compare it to the Sennheiser HD580. Both are roughly the same price.

~Hope this helps
 
Back
Top