Quick multi-display check please.

Rossi~

2[H]4U
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
3,479
I'm going to have a new monitor setup soon, PLP style. This is how i want to set it up.

22" 60Hz 1080p Portrait DP | 24" 120Hz 1080p Lanscape Dual Link DVI | 22" 60Hz 1080p Portrait DP

Now regarding the connections, if i were to hook them up to an AMD 6970 (or 7000 series card if they're out in the next couple of months) the 120Hz screen will be connected via Dual Link DVI obviously, but the portrait monitors both via DP or one via DP and the other via the remaining DVI connection. I've never worked with DP before really and i'm not sure if i'll need active DP adapters or not? The setup will be extended desktop across all 3 but gaming on just the 24" 120hz screen. Will passive DP adapters allow 1080p @ 60hz for desktop use only? For example http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CB-047-OK&groupid=1929&catid=1756&subcat=

Edit:

New plan. Fuck Eyefinity.
I can get a good deal on an Asus GTX580 Matrix so i'll go the nVidia route. Along with it i'll use the Asus GT 440 SILENT for the side monitors in portrait. So it now comes down to the question on running 60Hz | 120Hz | 60Hz . Remember the 120Hz will be the primary monitor and the only one i plan to use when gaming.
I just want the 120Hz screen in the middle set as the main/primary monitor for desktop and gaming at 120hz and the side 60hz screens just as additional monitors for extended desktop for Winamp, web browsing and spreadsheets etc i don't want to use them for gaming at all but don't want to have to disable them to take advantage of the 120Hz on the middle screen. The side monitors will be running off of the GT440 leaving the GTX580 to power only the 120Hz screen (so that there are no issues with the GTX580 idling at 2d clock speeds on the desktop basically).
 
Last edited:
I don't know about DP adapters but unless I'm mistaking, you'll have to run your 120Hz@60Hz in multi-display. The lowest common dominator sets the resolution and the refresh rate.

You'll have to deactivate the other screens when you game if you want to play at 120Hz, and trust me, you want. :)

Sounds like a bit of a pain, though.
 
I don't know about DP adapters but unless I'm mistaking, you'll have to run your 120Hz@60Hz in multi-display. The lowest common dominator sets the resolution and the refresh rate.

You'll have to deactivate the other screens when you game if you want to play at 120Hz, and trust me, you want. :)

Sounds like a bit of a pain, though.

Man that's gash... :mad:
So i can't run 60 | 120 | 60 at all when gaming?
 
Last edited:
.. It seems like some people got mixed refresh rates to work. You may have to use different eyefinity groups for the different refresh rate monitors. Side note - eyefinity gaming doesn't work in PLP monitor setups like you outlined of course, which you seemed to know since you said you'd only game on the middle monitor. You can use software hacks (softth) or try to run a few games fullscreen in windowed mode but it won't be using eyefinity gaming and you won't be getting the fullscreen speed eyefinity gives, especially if you use crossfire or a dualgpu video card since only one gpu is usuable in windowed mode. I have a PLP setup currently myself but they are all 60hz, and I am using a dual gpu card.
.
..It would be nice if you could use different resolutions and screen orientations on the side monitors in addition to different refresh rates. And additionally, if you could change the game details on the side panels -- > Why waste all the anti-aliasing and high graphics eye-candy setting's processing power on the "peripheral/immersion-producing" monitors on the side? That should be an option too so you can tweak the side monitor settings down to where they are not noticeably different in your peripheral vision, which could save a lot of gpu power for higher fps or enabling you to push higher settings on your main monitor.
 
Last edited:
Google is showing me mixed results :/

It's annoying really because i just want the 120Hz screen in the middle set as the main/primary monitor for desktop and gaming at 120hz and the side 60hz screens just as additional monitors for extended desktop for Winamp, web browsing and spreadsheets etc i don't want to use them for gaming at all.
Would i have more chance with 2 nVidia cards? e.g. GTX570/580 as the main card with just the 120Hz screen attached and a second card e.g. GT440 for the side monitors.
 
.
Try reading up on using more than one eyefinity group in your driver applet setup/menus. That guy with the fw900 did it that way I think. As far as I know nvidia is more picky about all monitors being exactly the same - at least for gaming with nvidia surround gaming.
 
New plan. Fuck Eyefinity.

I can get a good deal on an Asus GTX580 Matrix so i'll go the nVidia route. Along with it i'll use the Asus GT 440 SILENT for the side monitors in portrait. So it now comes down to the question on running 60Hz | 120Hz | 60Hz . Remember the 120Hz will be the primary monitor and the only one i plan to use when gaming.
I just want the 120Hz screen in the middle set as the main/primary monitor for desktop and gaming at 120hz and the side 60hz screens just as additional monitors for extended desktop for Winamp, web browsing and spreadsheets etc i don't want to use them for gaming at all but don't want to have to disable them to take advantage of the 120Hz on the middle screen. The side monitors will be running off of the GT440 leaving the GTX580 to power only the 120Hz screen (so that there are no issues with the GTX580 idling at 2d clock speeds on the desktop basically).
How about that? Has anyone got this kind of setup?
 
you could still do that kind of setup with amd just so you know. There are people who use integrated motherboard graphics to drive another monitor, or their previous gpu, etc. Multiple video card multi-monitor desktops have been around a long time and don't need eyefinity or nvidia surround. Eyefinity gaming and nvidia surround gaming just made it fullscreen across all screens without using a matrox adapater or such. The only way to get across all screens before was running windowed+fullscreen, software hacks like softth, or a resolution limited matrox adapter (some of those configs would give a framerate hit, and some don't support multiple gpus ~ crossfire especially, but sli as well for all practical purposes) Eyefinity multi monitor outside of gaming's new features include many more monitors possible in larger arrays, and in some cases off one card.
 
.
From Feb, 2006 on someone's blog/site lol.

http://daggle.com/my-multimonitor-setup-three-screens-for-one-computer-76/comment-page-2
It all started when I bought a new computer with a video card that had two outputs, digital and analog. I used the digital for my new 17″ LCD, but I wondered if I could get an old monitor going on the analog card. So I set my old 20″ CRT to one side, plugged it in and was amazed at how I could expand my desktop.

My bright idea meant purchasing two more 17″ LCD monitors plus another video card, so I’d have three outputs in all. It was worth the money. I couldn’t believe how much more productive I was. In my middle screen, I could write. On one of my other screens, I could read about something new happening. And on my third screen, I could test out what was being described. It was fabulous.
 
Back
Top